Good Times Old Times

Collapse

Welcome Guest, SPJ Bulletin - Good Times Old Times,(AKA SPJ Junkie, TEAM HTC) is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public wayback in 2004! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members and staff are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to excite your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.
You're currently viewing the forum community as a Guest. You'll have access to thousands of Archived post,from our long time helpful and dedicated staffs and members.Please Keep in mind the forum is for archived information only Any attachments in a post are no longer available. It's been PRUNED !!!!

Registration is open but limited

Is WinMo a sinking ship

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • broSki
    Old Timer/Snr Member
    • Feb 12

Re Re Is WinMo a sinking ship

Originally posted by Mike20PR
    time to chime in myself....

The reason WM looks like a sinking ship ATM is because its basically a sitting duck... iPhone is what started the UI revolution and set a new standard in user experience, Android followed, WebOS after that leaving WM and BB in the dust... but BB is doing a hell lot better cuz even though it hasnt caught up with the "pretty UI" fad, it just works.... if WM worked that way, it wouldnt need custom roms, registry tweaks, hacks etc. We gotta remember that we modders are a very small percentage of the user base so its idiotic to blame people for bad performance on their WM devices on their lack on knowledge of unlocking and flashing.... Its supposed to work out of the box cuz you pay for $500+ device only to spend most of your time making it work like it should.

User experience is a big part on why WM is falling behind also, it had the Windows 98 look till 6.5 where is freshened up a bit but still needs more work. Tiny buttons, pathetic on screen keyboard, and stylus UI everywhere (before HTC Sense mind you) So 6.5.1 is heading the right direction since its starting to work under the hood (menus, contacts, settings, etc) And its also using the same core since 2002 -2003 WindowsCE. So performance will still mostly be in 2002 standards till they redo the OS down to the core to make things more stable and smooth.

Note that im speaking about the Core OS, SPB Mobile Shell, PointUI, Sense, Wisbar, Throttlelauncher etc. doesnt come into play cuz its simply hiding the fact that the UI needs work unlike iPhoneOS, WebOS, and Android where it launches with no UI modifications on the most part and it has a good enough experience to have a good feel to it. A true complete OS SHOULD NOT NEED all these add-ons (icontact, opera browser, alternate sms apps, email apps, today screen etc.) A lot of people think that using these add-ons are an advantage rather than a real reason to believe that the OS needs work....

If WM7 has the same improvements as the Zune HD and Windows 7, it should be ok if not straight up awesome, but its an uphill battle when it actually ships since a totally new OS will mean no software compatibility thust the developers will have to start from scratch cuz there will be no apps for WM7. But if it comes out strong enough, it will catch wind just fine just like Android is now.... But remember to not to make the same mistake Palm did with WebOS. WM7 should attempt to compete with how Andrid and iPhoneOS will be AT THE TIME rather to compete on how they are now.... WebOS got screwed since they tried to destroy the iPhone3G so bad, they forgot to look at the future and got beaten by the 3GS shortly after

A finished 6.5.1 should have been released instead of 6.5 since the improvements go way deeper than a homescreen and start menu....

Right now my money is on Android and the potential of what WebOS will offer on future updates...
    I agree with u 100% mike, which is why i kinda left wm man, the flashing and all was starting to get me annoyed and tweaking all the time and soft resetting all the time b/c something locked up on u...i needed my phone to work 100% all the time, I use it for work vigorously and aggressively so it has to keep up with me man and the iphone keeps up hell amazing, and everyone here can bash it and say it sucks the OS sucks b/c its closed source bla bla but point is the iphone is HOT and can do more then wm can do and droid even, not sayin maybe droid will be better but RIGHT NOW the iphone is killing it which is why verizon wants it so bad... like i said if wm dumbs down the OS and fancy's it up a little more which 6.5.1 will be like im sure. I mean 6.5.1 is looking nice so fari gotta say and am impressed, resistive isnt really a big deal to be honest but capacitive is the best and works best when dragging something. but the main reason htc didnt make the cpu bigger on the tp2 is b/c it isnt capacitive thus it doesnt need the added cpu. which is why the iphone 3GS is smoother and faster then the previous iphone 3G and 2G, they added extra cpu totalling it to 800mhz, and more memory to 288 which is good for multitasking.

SO THE FINAL, DO I THINK WM IS A SINKING SHIP? RIGHT NOW ITS GOING DOWN FOR THE AVERAGE USER, BUT FOR US AS OF NOW ITS NOT B/C WE SEE WHATS COMING AHEAD WITH THE NEW SYS BUT THE AVERAGE USER DOESNT B/C THEY ARENT APART OF THE HACK COMMUNITY LIKE US, BUT ONCE 6.5.1 OFFICIALLY DROPS AND THE REGULAR USERS SEE IT THEN IT WILL RISE AGAIN ON ITS OWN TWO FEET. SO PATIENCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LOL
    NOOB SECTION CLICK HERE
    LEARN HOW TO SEARCH CLICK HERE
    LEARN HOW TO FLASH ROMS CLICK HERE
    Sprint Speed:

sigpic

Comment

• ICEM/\N
      The Man with the Plan!
      • Apr 10

Re Re Re Is WinMo a sinking ship

Originally posted by broSki
      Hey iceman im an originial iphone user too lol, but sprint has good relations with motorola bro, hello sprint NEXTEL lol, Nextel only really features moto phones lol plus sprint did get the razr and rzr 2 which looks pretty good for a flip phone...but like I said above, iphone and droid def ahead of the game man, and windows mobile is playing catch up now, better late then never, and the problem that WM faces is they dont wanna completely rebuild the OS like Palm did with their OS, WM wants to build over the current OS and integrate instead of starting from 1.

--------- New Post Merged on 30/10/2009 at 0539 --------

At the same time, WM 6.5.1's newest sys does show alot of major improvements in the OS, so lets just stand by and see in the later sys's what wm has up their sleeves, I mean Windows is a giant and im sure they wont stand back and watch google make an ass out of em...so lets just be patient and not count wm as a sunken boat lol

lol....I knew somebody was gonna say something about nextel...so thats why I said sprint does not have good relationship with motorola for cdma devices...lol....you will never catch me saying something wrong lol....sorry had to just let you know my brotha...lol
      FOLLOW ME>>>>
      Subscribe to my channel>>>>
      CLICK HERE TO GO TO ICEM/\N's Youtube Channel
      HIT THAT REP/ THANKS BUTTON FOR USEFUL POSTS!
      IF YOU INSTALL ONE OF MY RELEASES PLEASE PRESS THE INSTALLED BUTTON!
      Forum Rules
      A Noob Guide
      Let ICEM/\N Mod your iPhone 3G
      Guide to install iPhone/iTouch Game & App Files

sigpic

Comment

• broSki
        Old Timer/Snr Member
        • Feb 12

Re Re Re Re Is WinMo a sinking ship

Originally posted by ICEM/\N
        lol....I knew somebody was gonna say something about nextel...so thats why I said sprint does not have good relationship with motorola for cdma devices...lol....you will never catch me saying something wrong lol....sorry had to just let you know my brotha...lol
        well u never specified, u said sprint doesnt have good relation with motorola, but u were wrong b/c nextel sprint is under one company. Everyone one is wrong once in a while BROTHA.
        NOOB SECTION CLICK HERE
        LEARN HOW TO SEARCH CLICK HERE
        LEARN HOW TO FLASH ROMS CLICK HERE
        Sprint Speed:

sigpic

Comment

• D/\SH
          Owner - Staff
          • Feb 07

Re: Re Re Re Re Is WinMo a sinking ship

Originally posted by broSki
          well u never specified, u said sprint doesnt have good relation with motorola, but u were wrong b/c nextel sprint is under one company. Everyone one is wrong once in a while BROTHA.
          aint that the truth.... hell you learn from being wrong no matter how you think it out..

Comment

• bill
            • Jul 28

Re: Is WinMo a sinking ship

idont think its sinking they basically set the path and as in every other situation ppl or companies are going to follow its a reliable os so if they keep doing what they do they should be fine and yes the iphone has tones of apps but doesnt winmo have a bunch too....

Comment

• xxdbkxx
              • Mar 08

Re Is WinMo a sinking ship

Originally posted by bill
              idont think its sinking they basically set the path and as in every other situation ppl or companies are going to follow its a reliable os so if they keep doing what they do they should be fine and yes the iphone has tones of apps but doesnt winmo have a bunch too....
              Not near as many

--------- New Post Merged on 2/11/2009 at 0216 --------

Alright guys, thank you for all the input.

This is exactly the conversation that I was trying to provoke.

All the opinions and input are excellent, you guys are the best!!!!
              Last edited by xxdbkxx; November 02, 2009, 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• jetpack
                • Oct 21

One interesting thing I saw this week was a techy guy I know raving about Windows 7. He was always telling me "Apple's OS is so far superior to Windows". Now he's telling me Win7 is better than Snow Leopard. I can see Microsoft riding the success of 7 into a success in the WinMo field.

Comment

• simplyput3456
                  She's BACK
                  • Mar 28

I know I'm late..but let me see if I understand this.. The iphone is the way to go...& not a windows phone???
                  sigpic

Comment

• Mike20PR
                    SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
                    • Mar 31

Originally posted by simplyput3456
                    I know I'm late..but let me see if I understand this.. The iphone is the way to go...& not a windows phone???
                    not really sweety. i believe what was meant to say is that iPhone, WebOS and Android are moving at a much faster pace than Windows thus making it fall behind. WM7 might change this
                    ....................Ultimate NOOB Guide CLICK HERE....................
                    ....................PPC Guide For Dummies CLICK HERE....................
                    ....................Dont Know How To Flash A ROM? CLICK HERE..................
                    ....................Learn To Search CLICK HERE....................

Comment

• ppopper78
                      • Aug 07

well i have messed with wm and droid and iphone. All three are great but wm has been around a long time and has been modable the most but with all this new stuff coming out wm needs to change their format their UI, the programming and their device versatility needs to be improved. If it was not for tf3d their wm versions would all be the same and as for 6.5 it really has not changed much. They need to fix all the lagging and the freezing issues cause its really their grearest downfall. I have had a wm device since the apache and I have always loved it but battery issues always have followed since, you can play with an I phone a long time with better batt usage. Sinking ship yes but if they make a new ui completely different from the last 4 versions wm they can stay ahead of the game.
                      Cletus P. Buford

Comment

• only1penny
                        • Mar 23

Originally posted by ppopper78
                        well i have messed with wm and droid and iphone. All three are great but wm has been around a long time and has been modable the most but with all this new stuff coming out wm needs to change their format their UI, the programming and their device versatility needs to be improved. If it was not for tf3d their wm versions would all be the same and as for 6.5 it really has not changed much. They need to fix all the lagging and the freezing issues cause its really their grearest downfall. I have had a wm device since the apache and I have always loved it but battery issues always have followed since, you can play with an I phone a long time with better batt usage. Sinking ship yes but if they make a new ui completely different from the last 4 versions wm they can stay ahead of the game.
                        my friend had "i think" the omnia and he just got the droid. i asked what was the main difference & what he liked better and he said it's way faster and you don't have to restart it all the time. i think we don't realize how often we have to reset our wm phones. it's not really "look how easy it is to fix our phones" it's more like "my phone stopped working right again"

Comment

• D/\SH
                          Owner - Staff
                          • Feb 07

Originally posted by simplyput3456
                          naw the iphone wouldnt be the way to go in my opinion unless you are going to listen to a lot of music on your phone and want to use it for games and useless apps on top of the ones that you use religiously. the jailbroke models are getting hacked into and personal information is being stolen. it doesnt happen on the ones that havent been jailbroke though so thats something to think about as well with that route. windows mobile as mike said has just fell a step behind in my opinion because when they passed palm back in the day with wm2003 and wm5 they got comfortable and didnt make any changes from 5.0 to 6 over to 6.1 and now "early" 6.5 stages..... they have to pick it up now that iphone and now android are in the market and playing catch up always takes longer than if they did the work and made their os better by working on it.

Comment

• Reddog80p
                            • Mar 21

I think WinMo just needed a fire lit under them to actually do something. Kind of like the Chicago Cubs ....why put a good team on the field if your selling out games. Now that the competition has gained some momentum look for WinMo to do something soon.

Comment

Working...