Good Times Old Times

Collapse

Welcome Guest, SPJ Bulletin - Good Times Old Times,(AKA SPJ Junkie, TEAM HTC) is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public wayback in 2004! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members and staff are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to excite your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.
You're currently viewing the forum community as a Guest. You'll have access to thousands of Archived post,from our long time helpful and dedicated staffs and members.Please Keep in mind the forum is for archived information only Any attachments in a post are no longer available. It's been PRUNED !!!!

Registration is open but limited

Is WinMo a sinking ship

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xxdbkxx
    • Mar 08

Is WinMo a sinking ship

For the last couple years, we've been touting our WinMo superiority over the rest of the industry. iPhone can't do video, iPhone can't do picture mail, WinMo is more modable than Android, WinMo has all the third-party apps, WinMo has been doing all these things for years.......

Well, it seems that not only has the competition caught up with WinMO...but surpassed it. I feel like I'm clinging onto WinMo out of loyalty, but for how long? iPhone has a billion more apps released and it appears that Android is following suit.

I used to be proud of my WinMo phone and was able to give a long list of reasons it was superior than the rest, but that just isn't the case anymore.

C'mon guys......give me your input, am I right? Or help restore my faith in WinMo.....

Whatcha got?
  • y0himba
    HTC Phones Own
    • Jul 03

Re: Is WinMo a sinking ship

God I hope not. I likes me some Winmo. I don't see it happening with the fact that MS is now coming out with Windows Phones rather than phones just running Windows. MS will pull a rabbit out of the hat and be on top as usual.
    My Web Site: http://www.y0himba.net
    Last 5 Songs Played:

Comment

• CYBER WEESJE
      • Mar 27

Re Is WinMo a sinking ship

hi whel wm is no sinking ship but they can use inprovements on market and ohter stuff treu iphone has great appstore music ad games amon ohter things, android is growing daily and are put on so many brands htc samsung motorola and alot of ohter whil follow think android whil become big even go pass iphone good devs ho keep the android market expanding and the 2.0 looks so awesome, but i am a windows fan for a few reason loyalty maybey this is the reason i stay whit wm the flashing fun custom roms the whait for it evry new releas spb themes titanium TFD3 themes wisbar has so many themes and option pountui and there themes and all apps games i can try out this is what keeps me whit wm you can do so many things on wm whit different ui things ohter device cant do thats just how i see it its albout prefrence in a away few of us love iphone and android but there still many wimo lovers also like i love my tp2 thats my baby lol

GRTZ CYBER WEESJE
      SENIOR ADMIN @SPJ
      Last edited by CYBER WEESJE; October 29, 2009, 09:53 AM.
      video walk through on how to flash diamond/tp CLICK HERE
      NOOB CHECK SPJ TOUR BY D/\SH CLICK HERE
      LEARN HOW TO FLASH ROM CLICK HERE
      TUTORIAL BY ZAY HOW TO INSTAL TFD3THEMES General Forum Tips CLICK HERE
      sigpic

Comment

• hPeOaTd
        • Jul 01

I dont know if its just me, but flashing and customizing winmo devices is the best part about them. Ive never had an iphone or android device but as far as i kno u get what u buy and cant 'flash' a new rom or wutever it would be on those. Switching between winmo 6.1 and 6.5 and 6.5.1 and trying to figure out what pisses me off the most is the only thing that really gets me thru the day. Plus we have access to freeware and user developed stuff...themes galore (which im sure the others have too) ... spb mobile shell not floatin my boat today, im goin tf3d....call me crazy but the fact that i have that kind of customizational control beats out any fancy looking iphone and their app store...cuz anything ur phone can do....mine can do just as good just not as pretty...

Comment

• D/\SH
          Owner - Staff
          • Feb 07

Originally posted by xxdbkxx
          For the last couple years, we've been touting our WinMo superiority over the rest of the industry. iPhone can't do video, iPhone can't do picture mail, WinMo is more modable than Android, WinMo has all the third-party apps, WinMo has been doing all these things for years.......

Well, it seems that not only has the competition caught up with WinMO...but surpassed it. I feel like I'm clinging onto WinMo out of loyalty, but for how long? iPhone has a billion more apps released and it appears that Android is following suit.

I used to be proud of my WinMo phone and was able to give a long list of reasons it was superior than the rest, but that just isn't the case anymore.

C'mon guys......give me your input, am I right? Or help restore my faith in WinMo.....

Whatcha got?
          windows mobile in my opinion will keep these small changes that they have been doing forever going and going..... so basically it will never be as spectacular and will be the bottom feeder until they start to move quickly in the industry and suck up the pride of not being the best in this instance.... make yourself the best.... i know i am getting the droid on the 6th from best buy no doubt and cant wait to get it activated to mess around with it and be able to swap between that and my tp2 :) i feel android is going to be a force to be reckoned with especially since it covers multiple providers and platforms in all these different phones... great marketing and strategy by google if you ask me.

Comment

• mzlady26
            mzlady26
            • Jan 17

Man all I can say is that Droid is a nice a$$ looking phone. Making me change my mind about upgrading my phone. I don't want to have to go over to the dark side but that VZW phone is one hott phone
            Sexxy 1

Comment

• D/\SH
              Owner - Staff
              • Feb 07

Originally posted by mzlady26
              Man all I can say is that Droid is a nice a$$ looking phone. Making me change my mind about upgrading my phone. I don't want to have to go over to the dark side but that VZW phone is one hott phone
              if you do come over drop my name and we will both save money :) just send me a message asking for my whole real name hahaha

Comment

• mzlady26
                mzlady26
                • Jan 17

Originally posted by D/\SH
                if you do come over drop my name and we will both save money :) just send me a message asking for my whole real name hahaha
                Ok I will do that.
                Sexxy 1

Comment

• MikeyD
                  Find Em Hot Leave Em Wet
                  • Apr 25

i do hear what your saying, MS needs to beef it up a little. we all know about the customization our phones are capable of. If they marketed that more people would see the light. The thing about the iphone is it is made to be a "FUN" phone as where ours are made for using them for everyday organization. Thats my 2 cents
                  Can't Access Something Click Here
                  Can't Find Something Click Here
                  Need Help, Check Out the Help Desk Click Here
                  sigpic
                  IF SOMEONE HELPS YOU HIT THE "THANKS" BUTTON
                  FOLLOW THE RULES
                  AND PLEASE CLICK INSTALL ON ALL APPS AND THEMES
                  PLEASE POST SOMETHING, ANYTHING HERE

Comment

• broSki
                    Old Timer/Snr Member
                    • Feb 12

Originally posted by xxdbkxx

Whatcha got?
                    ok number one all those first things u said about the iphone is absolutely false lol, it has all of that plus more. remember iphone is a new device and OS aswell and look how good its selling. I dont wanna here iphone isnt multitasking capable b.c it is:
                    Code:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4MZIe5lzX8
                    And
                    Code:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Irt_J2c7o
                    And to tout your horn, iphone is the number one selling business phone on top of BB and android. The iphone is a beast at 800mhz CPU and 288 memory, and 16gb or 32gb Drive. Thing is windows mobile never really cared about how much phones they r selling but now with iphone sales at the top and droid and BB following, they are making moves, and from the looks of it following aswell. its like venum said, WM will be better once they DUMB down the OS for the regular non tech person. The reason we need custom roms is b/c the carriers beef the OS so much it makes the phone bad, therefore custom roms run nicer, for the iphone that isnt the case, the iphone comes fast, and smooth from the box, and by jailbreaking it, it makes it even more superior to the regular non jailbroken iphones. But windows mobile isnt going anywhere it will always be here and according to a quote by ceo of HTC, he says they have to take care of WM first before android:
                    Code:
                    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/29/htc-ceo-says-he-could-but-wont-make-hd2-an-android-phone-has-t/
                    NOOB SECTION CLICK HERE
                    LEARN HOW TO SEARCH CLICK HERE
                    LEARN HOW TO FLASH ROMS CLICK HERE
                    Sprint Speed:

sigpic

Comment

• xxdbkxx
                      • Mar 08

Re Re Is WinMo a sinking ship

Originally posted by broSki
                      ok number one all those first things u said about the iphone is absolutely false lol, it has all of that plus more. remember iphone is a new device and OS aswell and look how good its selling. I dont wanna here iphone isnt multitasking capable b.c it is:
                      Oh, I know its false....NOW. But 2 years ago, it was absolutely true. That is exactly the point of this thread. We USED to be able to hold a lot of stuff over the iPhone, that just isn't the case anymore.

Comment

• jetpack
                        • Oct 21

The Droid's new Google Maps Navigation looks hella good. I hope Google releases a free version capable of running on WinMo. I hope they don't offer an iphone version (at least until At&T loses the monopoly).

Comment

• ICEM/\N
                          The Man with the Plan!
                          • Apr 10

Time for the original iPhone supporter on SPJ to add his 2 cents...lol....I have to say that I love and have loved my current and old windows mobile phones....but if you placed a current windows mobile device and the best android or iphone device and told me to choose I would have to go with either the apple or android device depending on hardware....I mean Windows os was great compared to any other smartphone prior to iphone release...but now with the new android it is still further down the chain...I mean don't get me wrong I still preferit over palm os (non-web os), and blackberry os, and symbian os but it does not compare to the android or iphone....and being so intimately familiar with the iphone os and alittle with the android os I know they are capable of alot of things...but its not only the software of the device but it it is the hardware...I mean you got the tp2 which is released with windows 6.1 that has been out for ages if you count when leaked roms came out...and pretty much same camera and internal hardware of touch pro they just make it bigger and heavier and still persist on having a resistive touch screen...I gotta laugh at that one...I mean capacitive is the place to be...I mean att has been capacitive since 2007 and 2009 touch pro 2 still uses resistive...thats why it will never be as fluid touch screen movements as droid or iphone...and that new droid is gonna be hot...I only wish that the droid had come to sprint and the hero had gone to verizon....but Sprint has never really had the greatest relationship with motorola with CDMA handsets compared to verizons long time connection with motorola....but lets see if the droid will keep the momentum even a month after release unlike how the pre popped and fizzled...lol...I knew I was not really gonna like that device...I love the software but I hate the current hardware of the palm pre.....we will see whats around the corner....but here is hoping that Sprint will get a droid device by motorola who is not ignorant in placing a 5 megapixel camera without a flash like some companies....cough, cough; htc hero, cough!
                          FOLLOW ME>>>>
                          Subscribe to my channel>>>>
                          CLICK HERE TO GO TO ICEM/\N's Youtube Channel
                          HIT THAT REP/ THANKS BUTTON FOR USEFUL POSTS!
                          IF YOU INSTALL ONE OF MY RELEASES PLEASE PRESS THE INSTALLED BUTTON!
                          Forum Rules
                          A Noob Guide
                          Let ICEM/\N Mod your iPhone 3G
                          Guide to install iPhone/iTouch Game & App Files

sigpic

Comment

• broSki
                            Old Timer/Snr Member
                            • Feb 12

Re Re Is WinMo a sinking ship

Originally posted by ICEM/\N
                            Time for the original iPhone supporter on SPJ to add his 2 cents...lol....I have to say that I love and have loved my current and old windows mobile phones....but if you placed a current windows mobile device and the best android or iphone device and told me to choose I would have to go with either the apple or android device depending on hardware....I mean Windows os was great compared to any other smartphone prior to iphone release...but now with the new android it is still further down the chain...I mean don't get me wrong I still preferit over palm os (non-web os), and blackberry os, and symbian os but it does not compare to the android or iphone....and being so intimately familiar with the iphone os and alittle with the android os I know they are capable of alot of things...but its not only the software of the device but it it is the hardware...I mean you got the tp2 which is released with windows 6.1 that has been out for ages if you count when leaked roms came out...and pretty much same camera and internal hardware of touch pro they just make it bigger and heavier and still persist on having a resistive touch screen...I gotta laugh at that one...I mean capacitive is the place to be...I mean att has been capacitive since 2007 and 2009 touch pro 2 still uses resistive...thats why it will never be as fluid touch screen movements as droid or iphone...and that new droid is gonna be hot...I only wish that the droid had come to sprint and the hero had gone to verizon....but Sprint has never really had the greatest relationship with motorola with CDMA handsets compared to verizons long time connection with motorola....but lets see if the droid will keep the momentum even a month after release unlike how the pre popped and fizzled...lol...I knew I was not really gonna like that device...I love the software but I hate the current hardware of the palm pre.....we will see whats around the corner....but here is hoping that Sprint will get a droid device by motorola who is not ignorant in placing a 5 megapixel camera without a flash like some companies....cough, cough; htc hero, cough!
                            Hey iceman im an originial iphone user too lol, but sprint has good relations with motorola bro, hello sprint NEXTEL lol, Nextel only really features moto phones lol plus sprint did get the razr and rzr 2 which looks pretty good for a flip phone...but like I said above, iphone and droid def ahead of the game man, and windows mobile is playing catch up now, better late then never, and the problem that WM faces is they dont wanna completely rebuild the OS like Palm did with their OS, WM wants to build over the current OS and integrate instead of starting from 1.

--------- New Post Merged on 30/10/2009 at 0539 --------

At the same time, WM 6.5.1's newest sys does show alot of major improvements in the OS, so lets just stand by and see in the later sys's what wm has up their sleeves, I mean Windows is a giant and im sure they wont stand back and watch google make an ass out of em...so lets just be patient and not count wm as a sunken boat lol
                            Last edited by broSki; October 30, 2009, 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            NOOB SECTION CLICK HERE
                            LEARN HOW TO SEARCH CLICK HERE
                            LEARN HOW TO FLASH ROMS CLICK HERE
                            Sprint Speed:

sigpic

Comment

• Mike20PR
                              SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
                              • Mar 31

time to chime in myself....

The reason WM looks like a sinking ship ATM is because its basically a sitting duck... iPhone is what started the UI revolution and set a new standard in user experience, Android followed, WebOS after that leaving WM and BB in the dust... but BB is doing a hell lot better cuz even though it hasnt caught up with the "pretty UI" fad, it just works.... if WM worked that way, it wouldnt need custom roms, registry tweaks, hacks etc. We gotta remember that we modders are a very small percentage of the user base so its idiotic to blame people for bad performance on their WM devices on their lack on knowledge of unlocking and flashing.... Its supposed to work out of the box cuz you pay for $500+ device only to spend most of your time making it work like it should.

User experience is a big part on why WM is falling behind also, it had the Windows 98 look till 6.5 where is freshened up a bit but still needs more work. Tiny buttons, pathetic on screen keyboard, and stylus UI everywhere (before HTC Sense mind you) So 6.5.1 is heading the right direction since its starting to work under the hood (menus, contacts, settings, etc) And its also using the same core since 2002 -2003 WindowsCE. So performance will still mostly be in 2002 standards till they redo the OS down to the core to make things more stable and smooth.

Note that im speaking about the Core OS, SPB Mobile Shell, PointUI, Sense, Wisbar, Throttlelauncher etc. doesnt come into play cuz its simply hiding the fact that the UI needs work unlike iPhoneOS, WebOS, and Android where it launches with no UI modifications on the most part and it has a good enough experience to have a good feel to it. A true complete OS SHOULD NOT NEED all these add-ons (icontact, opera browser, alternate sms apps, email apps, today screen etc.) A lot of people think that using these add-ons are an advantage rather than a real reason to believe that the OS needs work....

If WM7 has the same improvements as the Zune HD and Windows 7, it should be ok if not straight up awesome, but its an uphill battle when it actually ships since a totally new OS will mean no software compatibility thust the developers will have to start from scratch cuz there will be no apps for WM7. But if it comes out strong enough, it will catch wind just fine just like Android is now.... But remember to not to make the same mistake Palm did with WebOS. WM7 should attempt to compete with how Andrid and iPhoneOS will be AT THE TIME rather to compete on how they are now.... WebOS got screwed since they tried to destroy the iPhone3G so bad, they forgot to look at the future and got beaten by the 3GS shortly after

A finished 6.5.1 should have been released instead of 6.5 since the improvements go way deeper than a homescreen and start menu....

Right now my money is on Android and the potential of what WebOS will offer on future updates...
                              ....................Ultimate NOOB Guide CLICK HERE....................
                              ....................PPC Guide For Dummies CLICK HERE....................
                              ....................Dont Know How To Flash A ROM? CLICK HERE..................
                              ....................Learn To Search CLICK HERE....................

Comment

Working...