Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AvnBlogFeed
    • Feb 08

reMarkable 2 Review

Digital notebooks are often geared towards productivity, and the reMarkable 2 is no exception. It’s a digital notebook designed for those seeking a digital alternative to pen and paper. Unlike other tablets, the reMarkable 2 caters to a unique niche with several distinctive features. This black-and-white tablet allows me to write and take notes without distractions. It also offers a handwriting-to-text conversion feature, which greatly enhances its capabilities.

Unlike Android tablets and iPads, the reMarkable 2 is specifically designed for writing, taking notes, and reading e-books, excelling remarkably in these areas. This paper tablet lacks both a Play Store and a web browser. Its minimalist monochrome display and clean interface prioritize writing, allowing you to focus on what truly matters.

After using the reMarkable 2 tablet for a month, I am convinced that it is one of the best e-readers for those looking to take notes or write a comprehensive novel without distractions.

reMarkable 2 Pros

• Slim, lightweight design
    • Responsive stylus input
    • Impressive writing feel
    • Longer battery life
    • Integrates with OneDrive, Google Dive, and Dropbox
    • Can convert handwritten notes to text

Cons

• No apps
    • No ingress protection
    • No backlight
    • Costly

reMarkable 2: Price and availability

The reMarkable 2 starts at $279 and is now available globally through reMarkable’s official website and other authorized retailers. However, accessories such as a stylus, folio case, and type folio will incur additional costs.

The matte black stylus, which includes a built-in eraser, is priced at $129. Alternatively, you can choose the gray pen without an eraser for $79. The premium folio magnetic case and the type folio keyboard case, which facilitates note-taking, range from $79 to $200 in price.

A complete set with the reMarkable 2, including the Marker Plus and Type Folio Keyboard, totals over $627. Although it is more expensive than an iPad, it lacks the apps and browsing capabilities typically available on other tablets.

reMarkable 2: Unboxing

reMarkable 2: Design

When I unboxed the reMarkable 2, I was immediately struck by its eye-catching slim, lightweight, and sleek design. The dark gray, matte-finished border looks quite premium, and the fully anodized aluminum chassis is comfortable to hold and use. Its curved, rounded edges enhance grip and prevent slipperiness.

Regarding its dimensions, the e-note is just 4.7mm thin, which is thinner than its predecessor, the reMarkable 1, at 6.7mm. Although the reMarkable 2 weighs slightly more at 403.5 grams compared to the reMarkable 1’s 350 grams, it doesn’t feel heavy or bulky. The weight is perfectly balanced.

The off-white back, prominently featuring the reMarkable branding, adds a stylish finishing touch. The reMarkable 2’s asymmetrical design enhances its usability. A notable improvement is the addition of a USB-C port for charging and a new, clicky power button on the top. While it lacks physical page turn buttons, it supports touch, allowing users to turn pages with a simple swipe while reading.

Although having ingress protection would make the tablet more versatile and adaptable to various conditions, the reMarkable 2 unfortunately lacks water and dust protection, which is slightly disappointing. However, the folio case, which magnetically attaches to the e-note, provides an extra layer of protection when not in use.

reMarkable 2: Display

Taking notes on the reMarkable 2’s large 10.3-inch monochrome, glare-free display is an absolute joy. The E-INK Carta powered screen, with its 1872 x 1404 resolution and 226 ppi pixel density, renders every text sharp and clear. From the moment I started using the e-note, I was impressed by its lightweight design and ease of handling. I can comfortably hold the reMarkable 2 with one hand and take notes with the other without any strain.

The device’s chunky bezels might look a bit unusual, but they provide ample space to rest my thumb while holding it, which enhances the comfort. The absence of branding on the front side gives the reMarkable 2 a clean, refreshing appearance.

The e-note supports only the two most commonly used file formats: EPUB and PDF. I tested the display by importing some high-graphic PDFs to assess the image quality. The texts appeared exceptionally crisp, and high-resolution images looked quite clear. After a month of use, I have not encountered any issues with the screen.

The only drawback is the lack of a backlight on the reMarkable 2. As a result, it cannot be used in dark conditions.

reMarkable 2: Features and Performance

The reMarkable 2 is equipped with a 1.2GHz dual-core ARM processor that allows you to swiftly switch between notes. It also features 1GB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage, and WiFi 5GHz connectivity. Out of the box, it runs on the Codex operating system, a Linux-based platform specifically designed for low-latency digital paper displays.

The tablet UI of the reMarkable 2 is very user-friendly, enabling easy navigation for anyone. The taskbar on the main home page allows you to create a new notebook, folder, or quick sheet. Below the taskbar, you’ll find the files list, and a menu tab on the top left side that lets you organize the homepage and access the tablet’s settings. The reMarkable offers dozens of notebook templates—including lined, grid, blank, margin, piano, and many more—that you can select based on your needs.

The reMarkable 2 features a 21-millisecond latency, enhancing the tap-to-screen inking time, which is impressive. I didn’t notice any significant delay while writing on the screen; it feels as natural as writing on a traditional notepad.

One of my favorite features is the handwriting-to-text conversion, which allows you to transform your handwritten notes into digital text, making it easy to share them quickly. While this feature didn’t work flawlessly with my messy handwriting, I am confident that with neater writing, the results would be excellent. Another notable feature is the ‘Read on reMarkable’ browser extension, which scans the blog post you are viewing and sends a text-only version directly to your reMarkable 2.

Besides taking notes, the reMarkable 2 can also be used for reading e-books. I thoroughly enjoyed my reading sessions on it, and I can assure you, it offers a reading experience comparable to that of a Kindle. However, you will need to import your own library since it does not come with a vast built-in store like Kindle’s.

The reMarkable 2 keeps all your files and PDFs in sync, allowing you to access them through the reMarkable apps for Android, iOS, and Windows. This creates a seamless ecosystem, ensuring you stay connected to your e-note, even when you leave it at home.

reMarkable 2: Stylus

The reMarkable 2 is compatible with two types of styluses: the gray pen, which does not have an eraser, and the black pen, which includes a built-in eraser. If budget is a concern, the gray pen is more affordable, but I highly recommend the Marker Plus with its built-in digital eraser for an enhanced experience.

The Marker Plus pen boasts 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity. Using the pen is a delight—it’s extremely responsive for note-taking and quite capable in sketching. While I’m not a professional artist, I enjoyed drawing with the reMarkable’s stylus; my experiences were outstanding. I observed no lag while sketching. While it’s a fantastic tool for casual sketchers, I wouldn’t recommend it for professional artists.

Taking notes with the Marker Plus pen is incredibly enjoyable. While jotting down thoughts, I can easily switch between various writing tools like a ballpoint pen, pencil, fineliner, mechanical pencil, highlighter, marker, calligraphy pen, and paintbrush. I also appreciate being able to adjust the thickness and select from a range of color options—Black, Gray, Yellow, Pink, Red, Blue, Green, and White—to enhance clarity and organization in my notes. However, it’s important to note that due to the reMarkable 2’s monochrome screen, any colors other than gray and black will not display on the device itself but can be viewed in the reMarkable app.

The writing experience on the reMarkable 2 is truly exceptional. The paper-like screen mimics the feel of using a pen on paper, which feels incredibly natural.

reMarkable 2: Type Folio Keyboard

reMarkable also offers a premium keyboard case accessory, the Type Folio, which replaces the on-screen keyboard of the reMarkable 2 with a physical one. Although not essential like the Marker Plus, the Type Folio is a valuable addition that transforms the tablet into a minimalist yet effective writing station.

The Type Folio keyboard features a unique three-layer design: the keyboard at the bottom, the tablet in the middle, and a protective cover on top. Available in black or brown, the leather-finished exterior gives the keyboard case a premium appearance and a smooth texture that feels great in hand.

The compact keyboard layout and remarkably slim design of the Type Folio impressed me greatly. It transforms into a full-fledged writing machine on the go, without the burden of excessive weight or other cumbersome factors. Surprisingly, the keyboard offers 1.3mm of key travel—more than many popular keyboard cases—making the typing experience extremely comfortable.

While writing some buying guide articles on the reMarkable 2 tablet with the Type Folio keyboard case, I observed two things. First, typing on this keyboard feels great; the keys are spacious and provide a decent amount of key travel. While it doesn’t match my ergonomic mechanical keyboard, it is better than many keyboard cases.

However, I noticed that the software isn’t fully optimized for use with the Type Folio on the reMarkable 2. For instance, typing on a blank page works well, but when switching to a lined page, the alignment of the typed text becomes disorganized and doesn’t stay within the lines, making the document look messy. I hope reMarkable addresses this in a future software update.

On the positive side, there is no noticeable lag between pressing a key and the corresponding letter appearing on the screen. reMarkable has done an excellent job here, providing a keyboard case with zero lag, giving it a competitive edge.

Another major advantage of the keyboard case is its connectivity. It doesn’t require WiFi, Bluetooth, or any wired connections; it simply connects to the reMarkable 2 using magnets that automatically activate the keyboard.

Overall, the reMarkable’s Type Folio acts as a modern typewriter, ideal for writing longer pieces without distractions. With a $200 price tag, which is roughly two-thirds the cost of the $279 reMarkable 2, this well-crafted folio case is a worthy investment.

reMarkable 2: Subscription

reMarkable offers a monthly Connect subscription for $2.99/£2.99 that provides unlimited cloud storage and syncs your documents across apps. This subscription also includes additional features such as the ability to access and edit your notes, files, and PDFs across reMarkable’s desktop and mobile apps. Given its affordability, the reMarkable Connect Subscription is well worth considering for a seamless experience.

The reMarkable 2 also integrates smoothly with Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox, enhancing its system compatibility.

reMarkable 2: Battery

The reMarkable 2 is equipped with a 3000mAh battery and now includes a USB-C port for charging, a welcome upgrade from the traditional micro USB. E-Ink devices are known for their extended battery life, and the reMarkable 2 is no exception.

During my tests, the e-note lasted for an impressive 21 days on a single charge—seven days beyond the company’s claim of two weeks, which is remarkable. This marks a significant improvement over the reMarkable 1, which only lasted 3 to 4 days on a single charge.

Regarding my usage, I took notes daily, read a book, and wrote some articles, and still had about 10% battery remaining. This means you can easily achieve up to three weeks of battery life with normal usage.

Although reMarkable hasn’t specified the charging speed, it took me approximately 2 hours and 52 minutes to fully charge the battery from 0% to 100%—a bit lengthy, indeed. Overall, the reMarkable 2 offers outstanding battery life that keeps you going for weeks without the need to recharge.

reMarkable 2: Should you buy it?

You should buy this if:

• You want a large digital notebook that’s great for taking notes and sketching
    • You want an e-note that allows you to work without any distraction
    • You want an e-note that supports the keyboard case
    • You want an e-note that lasts two weeks or more on a single charge

You shouldn’t buy this if:

• You want a budget e-note
    • You want Android apps support
    • You need ingress protection

Earned for achieving an overage average star rating of at least 3.75 stars, this product is an AndroidGuys Smart Pick, signifying a perfect blend of quality, performance, and value. It excels in key areas like design, innovation, and user experience, offering top-notch functionality at a great price.

reMarkable 2: Verdict

ReMarkable has done a remarkable job (no pun intended) with the reMarkable 2. After using it for over a month, I can confidently say that this is the ultimate tablet for writers and avid note-takers seeking replacements for traditional notepads.

There is simply no comparison to the reMarkable 2 when it comes to note-taking and sketching. The digital e-note provides a writing experience that mimics paper, which is nothing short of exemplary, and I applaud reMarkable’s efforts in this area.

The large 10.3-inch screen of the reMarkable 2 is ideal for writing and taking notes and doubles as an excellent e-reader, offering a reading experience similar to that of a Kindle. However, the absence of a backlight significantly limits its versatility. Without adequate ambient light, using the reMarkable 2 can be challenging—a point not so much a flaw as it is an area for improvement. The only real drawback I noted is the lack of ingress protection.

Initially, I was skeptical about how a digital notebook would fit into my workflow since it is primarily designed for note-taking. However, once I started using it, I couldn’t imagine a day without it. It has become essential for setting to-do lists, taking notes in meetings, reading books, and doodling—a pastime I greatly enjoy. The reMarkable 2 has enhanced my productivity in every aspect.

Overall, the reMarkable 2 is an excellent digital notebook, featuring a large, paper-like monochrome responsive display and a sturdy anodized aluminum chassis. Unique features such as ‘Read on reMarkable’ and handwritten notes-to-text conversion truly set this device apart. Its battery life is remarkable, lasting two weeks without the need for a recharge.

Although the reMarkable 2, with bundled accessories, costs more than an iPad and is certainly pricier, the value it delivers makes it well worth the investment.

More...
    https://www.avnblogfeed.com/

Interested in creating an online community? How about growing one? How about profiting from one? Does it all seem so confusing, though? It doesn’t have to be! Join SPJ Bulletin Communities to engage and network with beginner to seasoned online community managers just like you. Membership is free – register today or login if you have an account.

Working...