[29072009][v06 finally] WMLongLife - Save your gonads (and battery)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D/\SH
    Owner - Staff
    • Feb 07

[29072009][v06 finally] WMLongLife - Save your gonads (and battery)

Note this is a BETA version and will have issues.

About
    WMLongLife is an automatic 2G/3G band-switching solution. It will keep your device in 2G when you do not need to use 3G, and will switch to 3G automatically when you do need it. For most users, having your device in 2G uses much less battery, and thus your phone lasts longer on a single charge. 2G also usually generates less radiation than 3G, so it will likely be better for your gonads (if you have them) as well (see this thread for a discussion about that) - think of your hypothetical future children!

Main features
    • 2G/3G (auto)/3G (only) automatic band switching based on:
      - Running programs and their needs
      - Availability of Wi-Fi
      - Availability of USB
      - Roaming
    • Idle data connections disconnect based on running programs (note that unlike the registry tweak this does not break simultaneous voice/data)
    • Manual band switching
    • Automatically disable data when roaming (including AGPS)
    • Pauses applications while switching bands (so you don't get networking errors)
    • Several predefined applications supported
    • Support for HTC/MSM72xx GSM devices (GSM/EDGE vs UMTS/HSDPA)
    • Support for HTC/MSM75xx CDMA devices (1xRTT vs EV-DO)
    • Support for various Samsung GSM devices (GSM/EDGE vs UMTS/HSDPA)

How to use
    The manual is in the post below this one. Give it a quick skim!

License?
    You can use this yourself on your own devices, if-and-only-if you download it from this post. You are not allowed to (re)distribute this app, not to your brother, not to your friends, not to anyone. Cooking it into your ROM and then distributing that is obviously also not allowed.

I reserve the right to turn this into something commercial if I want. I'm not planning it, but lets just cut the crap and say it may eventually happen (avoid BS like the last time). Should that happen, as last time, people who helped out will get taken care of.

Is this guaranteed to save battery?
    No, it is not. If it will or will not save battery is dependent on your configuration of WMLongLife, your 'average' network conditions, your radio, and usage. The default WMLongLife configuration will give you (also depending on those other factors) a nice average between least and maximum savings while trying to be not too annoying. Radio firmware is very tricky, and results vary all across the board. It is likely there is a radio thread for your specific device, if you are comfortable with flashing devices, flashing a different radio may give you better (or worse) connectivity and battery life. How your usage effects all this should be obvious: if all you do with your phone is watch YouTube until the battery goes flat, WMLongLife will not help you [at all]. If you pretty much use at as a phone with additional email and some browsing / Google Maps here and there, you may definitely see benefits. It all depends.

Now let's get to the most interesting part: network conditions. 3G [at least in theory] uses less battery than 2G under ideal conditions. However, these ideal conditions are hardly ever reached. A lot of battery is spent finding a decent/better 3G signal to use instead of 2G - and I mean a lot. If 3G is few-bars or just an unreliable signal in your area, your device will not just use a lot, it will use massive amounts of battery trying to get a [better] 3G signal. Aside from that, if the conditions are less than ideal, 2G may use less power than 3G. As an example, I am personally in an area with excellent 3G coverage (5 out of 5 bars of HSDPA) and my device still lasts nearly twice as long on a single charge with WMLongLife running. Your mileage may vary, of course. While it is completely possible that it may not make a relevant difference in your case, I would say there will be many people who this does make a difference for. This is also the reason you will see many people advising in "battery saving" threads to disable 3G and attesting to how much battery it saves for them, and others will always respond that it doesn't make a difference [for them].

Having an idle(!) data connection should theoretically not make a difference with power usage, you have the connection anyway, it's just a question about whether you have an IP or not. However, some background applications (inside services mostly) will initiate data transfers if (and only if) a data connection is already up. So if you have an idle data connection, these applications would start using data, while if you did not have a data connection (connected), they would not.

Supported devices
    This is a list of device it should work on, most of them have not been reported to work since 0.2, though.
    • HTC Touch Cruise
    • HTC TyTN II
    • HTC Touch Diamond GSM + CDMA
    • HTC Touch Pro GSM + CDMA
    • HTC Touch HD
    • HTC Touch Diamond II GSM
    • HTC Touch Pro II GSM
    • Samsung i780
    • Samsung Omnia GSM
    • Samsung Omnia II GSM
    • Sony Ericsson Xperia X1
    • Palm Treo Pro

Suspected to work on (never been tested, not even on 0.2):
    • HTC Titan/Mogul
    • HTC Vogue
    • HTC Touch 3G
    • HTC Touch Cruise II
    • HTC MAX 4G
    • HTC Touch Diamond II CDMA
    • HTC Touch Pro II CDMA
    • Samsung Epix

Important release notes
    A lot of code has changed the past two weeks and I'm sorry to say not everything has been tested deeply and/or repeatedly after all these changes. Unexpected switches may happen, I may have overlooked certain combinations of states and what it results in, etc. Feel free to comment on unexpected behavior, including what you did expect to happen, and/or what you actually wanted to happen. Please include details about the device you are using.

It has all gotten horribly complicated, much more than expected.

Currently known issues and problems are listed in the 4th post of this thread.

Download
    Version 0.1 and 0.2 are provided for historic reasons... I doubt you'll want to use them, but who knows. 0.6 will stop working on the first of October, but 0.7 should long be out by then.

original thread can be found here with download link:
    Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=478519
    Last edited by D/\SH; August 05, 2009, 09:26 PM.
  • VenumX
    The VenumX Factor
    • Nov 14

Re: [29072009][v06 finally] WMLongLife - Save your gonads (and battery

sure ill try it, why not :P always nice to see an improvement in battery life

("Do Not Pm Me Or Email For Support" For Mobile Stuff, Post your question/problem on the forum so that someone else who's having the same issue can benefit from the solution.)

sigpic

Wanna Introduce Yourself?! Click HERE

Need to flash a rom?
    stlouisfinest68 has a great video tutorial on how to do it, click HERE

Forum Rules: --> HERE
    Join A Group:--> HERE
    Learn To Get Around The Forum:--> HERE

Comment

• Superman369
      • Sep 22

He dash, did you make this? I see the maker specifically asked for no outside downloads and all mirrors be linked to his post. I think it would be best if we followed his wishes. Just my opinion, avoid any future problems.
      Got a ? Use The Help Desk Here
      Need it all in one thread?Click Here
      Learn How To Flash A Rom?Click Here
      Are You New To The Scene?Click Here
      Need to Learn How To Search? Click Here
      The End All, Be All of Noob Guides.Click Here

sigpic
      Make Sure You Hit The Thanks And/Or Installed Buttons If Someone Helps You Or You Use There Programs!!!

Comment

• D/\SH
        Owner - Staff
        • Feb 07

Originally posted by Superman369
        He dash, did you make this? I see the maker specifically asked for no outside downloads and all mirrors be linked to his post. I think it would be best if we followed his wishes. Just my opinion, avoid any future problems.
        i didnt add the attachment someone else did and the rest was copied and pasted from developers site which is also linked in the first.... i dont know who made the attachment but it sure as hell wasnt me,

Comment

• D/\SH
          Owner - Staff
          • Feb 07

Re: [29.07.2009][v0.6 *finally*] WMLongLife - Save your gonads (and battery

and sweet 11 downloads and 1 installed which is from myself :( and only 1 thanks... also removing attachment

Comment

• Superman369
            • Sep 22

Re: [29072009][v06 finally] WMLongLife - Save your gonads (and battery)

I removed the attachment for you, but I dont see the link to the OP. Might just be my computer though.

sigpic
            Make Sure You Hit The Thanks And/Or Installed Buttons If Someone Helps You Or You Use There Programs!!!

Comment

• crazaytalent
              • Aug 20

I removed the attachment for you, but I dont see the link to the OP. Might just be my computer though.
              im also missing the op link... id like to try, can someone hook it up?
              New to SPJ? Check the n00b guide...Learning to search? Quick tips
              Need to navigate the site? Take the SPJ Tour
              How to install TF3D themes? Here!!...Looking to flash your device? SEE ME

sigpic

HIT THAT THANKS/REP BUTTON FOR ALL HELPFUL POSTS!!

Comment

• D/\SH
                Owner - Staff
                • Feb 07

Originally posted by crazaytalent
                im also missing the op link... id like to try, can someone hook it up?
                added to first postlink beow/// first thing that came up in google.... damn getting sick of updateing all these threads :(

Comment

• Superman369
                  • Sep 22

Originally posted by D/\SH
                  added to first postlink beow/// first thing that came up in google.... damn getting sick of updateing all these threads :(
                  Dude, it was your post. I thought you had it already or maybe my comp was acting up or the browser was blocking it.

sigpic

Comment

• D/\SH
                    Owner - Staff
                    • Feb 07

Dude, it was your post. I thought you had it already or maybe my comp was acting up or the browser was blocking it.
                    im not saying anything im just mentioning a point that im fed up with updating every damn rom on this board even though i dont post them, than all the suppoort, and the pre section by myself... i jsut cant do it all and dontwanna be hear if thats all im good for is reupping shit and all...... i want to enjoy my hobby also and not just teach it in all my free time. but rant over and back on topic thred made in staff area that everyone is staying clear of can respond there.

Comment

• tlpalmer01
                      • Feb 20

tell me something, is it that hard to hit thanks or installed???

Comment

• Superman369
                        • Sep 22

Originally posted by tlpalmer01
                        tell me something, is it that hard to hit thanks or installed???
                        ??? A lil confused....

sigpic

Comment

• ON3/\L
                          SPJ Supporter/Promoter
                          • Jan 28

??? A lil confused....
                          That was a response to D/\sh mentioning the fact that only 1 install but 11 downloads and only 1 thanks. Palmer was responding to that I do believe.
                          sigpic

ON3/\L ProDuction$
                          Code:
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/ON3ALProDuctions
                          Thanks to SPJ and all who contribute I am able to use my Touch Pro at it's full potential. If anyone has helped you, don't forget to hit that handy little thanks button!

Comment

• Superman369
                            • Sep 22

Originally posted by ON3/\L
                            That was a response to D/\sh mentioning the fact that only 1 install but 11 downloads and only 1 thanks. Palmer was responding to that I do believe.
                            oooohhhh I see. Man, I'm a moron. Hahaha

sigpic

Comment

• SellerOne
                              • Dec 02

Well... back on topic, has anyone gotten a chance to try this? Any noticeable change in battery life?

Comment

Working...