Good Times Old Times

Collapse

Welcome Guest, SPJ Bulletin - Good Times Old Times,(AKA SPJ Junkie, TEAM HTC) is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public wayback in 2004! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members and staff are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to excite your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.
You're currently viewing the forum community as a Guest. You'll have access to thousands of Archived post,from our long time helpful and dedicated staffs and members.Please Keep in mind the forum is for archived information only Any attachments in a post are no longer available. It's been PRUNED !!!!

Registration is open but limited

Newbie guide (test paragraph)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gadget945
    NOOB 4 EVER
    • Sep 25

Newbie guide (test paragraph)

So let’s see you’re here because of something along the lines of “I’ve got this kewl new handset, and I wanna be like ….(Dash, BigJew, Superman, pick one and insert here) I saw this wicked video on youtube and I want to have one like that!” Maybe you were searching the web for something to speed up your phone, and came up with the SPJ website.
    Whoa, slow down a second. The peeps whose handsets are in those videos are either wickedly talented, awesomely patient, or got bucks enough to have it done for them. Do you fall into any of those categories? Even if you don’t, there is help for you. You’ve got to do the legwork on your own though.
    Regarding SmartPhoneJunkies – the folks on this forum are exceedingly helpful. They do, however, have lives and jobs and families. That means that if you post a question and do not get an immediate response, do NOT get snippy about it, reposting with – “what, no one cares” Give it a few hours. Remember the saying – “a lack of planning on your part, does NOT constitute an emergency on my part”
    Let’s start with a short list of MUST HAVES.
    You’ve got to have a smartphone or PPC.
    Got a PC or laptop with internet access, now think; “DUH, I got here didn’t I?”
    Data cable to connect your handset to your PC.
    Storage card that works in your PPC
    Another option to back up your information, preferably web-based.
    Working knowledge of your computer and your handset. Know for sure how to connect the two.
    Patience and more patience.
    Comfortable with the possibility that in your haste, you will acquire a very expensive paperweight. Especially if you decide that you know what you’re doing because you work with computers all day, and this can’t be that difficult.

Then we can go with a breakdown of the original list.
    You’ve got a smartphone or PPC.
    You know your provider.
    You know the model of PPC you have, the name and the model number.
    You know CDMA or GSM.
    Got a PC or laptop with internet access, now think; “DUH, I got here didn’t I?”
    Okay, this is where it gets hinky. You’ve got a PC or a Mac? You know which OS you are running? You’ve learned how to connect your PPC to your computer? For ease, references to PC will mean whatever box you have. Program is called ActiveSync on XP and SyncCenter on Vista. Dunno about Mac, sure you can find it. Depending on the model of PPC you have, hookup may be different. Typically is plug and play, you may have to download the program from the manufacturer; figure this out first. If you can’t connect the two together, you’re going to have issues.
    Data cable to connect your handset to your PC.
    Umm, that is part of the above.
    Storage card that works in your PPC
    Usually, they send one with it. You paid big bucks, it’s the least they can do, right? Typically it needs to be formatted, make sure you can do this. If you’ve been using the handset, you may have pics or something saved on it. Make sure that you have backed up this information.
    Another option to back up your information, preferably web-based.
    The best option I have found (read PERSONAL OPINION) is called Dashwire. It’s a web based application that updates your contacts, pictures, text messages, etc. online, and so far it’s free. You will have to establish an account online, and then send an app to your phone and install it. Follow the instructions! This is a very data intensive program, and you really should have an unlimited data plan to use it. There are other options out there, I am sure, google is your best friend!
    Working knowledge of your computer and your handset. Know for sure how to connect the two.
    I know, redundant, but it’s needed. I would suggest at this point that you create a directory or at least a folder that you can find easily, and direct all downloads for your modding to it. It is extremely helpful to know where that really cool app you just downloaded went. Keeps everything together, so you know what you’ve got, and don’t download the same thing multiple times to various locations. Don’t know your situation, but I can fill 200GB quick! Be mindful also, that some of the apps that you download may or may not set off your virus scanner. Most apps are designed to modify your PPC setup in various ways, so yes, they will look like Trojans sometimes. Please read the thread that the app is in and see if anyone has encountered the same issue. In regards to your handset, you should install all apps to the device and keep movies and pictures and such on your storage card.
    Patience and more patience.
    Yeah, it’s mandatory.
    Comfortable with the possibility that in your haste, you will acquire a very expensive paperweight. Especially if you decide that you know what you’re doing because you work with computers all day, and this can’t be that difficult.
    I’m serious.

Okay, now we have a serious sort of selection to make. What do you want to do with your handset? Just want it faster? Want it to look cool? Want more games? Watch youtube videos without that awful lag time?
    Everything about modifying your handset is about personal preference.
    You’ve got to know what you want to do. Well, actually you don’t have to know what you want, you can start wherever you want, and just go from there.
    There are some things that you will need to figure out before you get too far into it. This is something that I would have loved to know before I started on this journey myself. The language is a bit intimidating if you don’t know it, if you’re not comfortable with it, just take a break and google it.
    First and foremost – I, or anyone else for that matter, who tries to help you do what you want, is in no way responsible if you BRICK your phone. BRICK = PAPERWEIGHT, a really, really, really expensive one at that. If you are not comfortable, decide to rush things, were born on a Tuesday, it doesn’t matter; if you mess up your handset based on any of this information, to find the one responsible = LOOK IN A MIRROR. I, nor anyone else who tries to help you, provide you with information, gives you a hint, etc.; is not responsible for the condition of your handset.
    Second – depending on your situation, modifying your handset in any way may or may not VOID YOUR WARRANTY. That is up to you to decipher and accept.
    Third – do you want to unlock your phone? Not really the same thing as jailbreaking, but close from what I know about it. Do you want it to look like someone elses that you saw on the video? Revisit the video, with a piece of paper and a pen. Write down the names of the apps you see and then go and look for them.
    Fourth – do you want to change the ROM? Kinda scary at first. You can do a lot to your handset without flashing to a new rom. However, most manufacturers and carriers tend to have a lot of “bloat” in the handset that you won’t ever use, is outdated, or just plain worthless. There are roms available that are minimal, there are some that are pretty wicked.

How do I unlock my PPC?
    Typically done with an unlocker, which is specific to model and carrier and type. Please read through the threads on the forum, there are sections dedicated for specific handsets and then there are sections for different kinds of modifications, roms, themes, apps, etc.
    Again, google is your friend. There’s a little green search button towards the top of every page on SPJ.
    You should note that if necessary to return handset for repairs, you will need to relock your handset. It’s a good idea, regardless of what you are going to do, to find both the unlocker and relocker for your particular situation. Keep them in a file that is clearly marked, so that you won’t have to hunt it down later. Once your handset is unlocked, you generally have no reason to relock it if you’re just wanting to change things on it.
    Last edited by gadget945; June 26, 2009, 06:26 PM.
    sigpic
    Mahalo, Gadget

GETTING STARTED GUIDE

• tlpalmer01
    • Feb 20

Re: Newbie guide (test paragraph)

that is definetly more easier to read.......

Comment

• DenverDev
      • Dec 07

Originally posted by tlpalmer01
      that is definetly more easier to read.......
      Definitely easier to read....If i may be so bold, I would recommend a line between each of the points that you are making....seperates them and brings better attention to the points you are trying to make....

Again....LOVE YOUR STYLE!

Comment

• gadget945
        NOOB 4 EVER
        • Sep 25

HOWDY Newbie!

So let’s see you’re here because of something along the lines of “I’ve got this kewl new handset, and I wanna be like ….(Dash, BigJew, Superman, Iceman, etc. pick one and insert here) I saw this wicked video on youtube and I want to have one like that!” Maybe you were searching the web for something to speed up your phone, and came up with the SPJ website. Whoa, slow down a second. The peeps whose handsets are in those videos are either wickedly talented, awesomely patient, or got bucks enough to have it done for them. Do you fall into any of those categories? Even if you don’t, there is help for you. You’ve got to do the legwork on your own though.
        Regarding SmartPhoneJunkies – the folks on this forum are exceedingly helpful. They do, however, have lives and jobs and families. That means that if you post a question and do not get an immediate response, do NOT get snippy about it, reposting with – “what, no one cares” Give it a few hours. Remember the saying – “a lack of planning on your part, does NOT constitute an emergency on my part”

QUICKIE BREAKDOWN OF THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
        I. You’ve got a smartphone or PPC.
        Need Pertinent Information about the handset you are going to modify
        1.Make – aka manufacturer
        2.Model – numbers and name would be nice, Touch Pro, Mogul, PPC6850, etc.
        3.Version – CDMA or GSM
        4.Carrier – who you pay your bill to. Sprint, Verizon, ATT
        THESE THINGS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT, a lot of this stuff is specific to make and model.
        II.PC or laptop with web access
        Have information about your setup
        1.PC or laptop – windows based or mac, some programs are only for Windows
        2.Version you are using – 32 or 64 bit XP, mac, linux, redhat, etc.
        3.How do you connect your PPC to your system?
        ActiveSync, SyncCenter, etc. make sure it works
        4.Make sure your data cable works, should have gotten one with the phone
        5.Storage card, it works, how big it is and what kind, know how to format it.
        6.Setup a folder, somewhere you can find it easily, for all the cool things you will wind up downloading. Saves time!
        7.Know your antivirus – some apps you download will set it off. Check thread, usually things are tested before being posted, use at your own risk.
        III.Backing up your information.
        Preferably on the web, one I found is Dashwire, and it works well, and it’s free. You will have to setup an account online, download an app to your phone, follow instructions!
        IV. Patience and more patience.
        V. Comfortable with the possibility that in your haste, you will acquire a very expensive paperweight. Especially if you decide that you know what you’re doing because you work with computers all day, and this can’t be that difficult.

Okay, now we have a serious sort of selection to make. What do you want to do with your handset? Just want it faster? Want it to look cool? Want more games? Watch youtube videos without that awful lag time?
        Everything about modifying your handset is about personal preference.
        You’ve got to know what you want to do. Well, actually you don’t have to know what you want, you can start wherever you want, and just go from there.
        There are some things that you will need to figure out before you get too far into it. This is something that I would have loved to know before I started on this journey myself. The language is a bit intimidating if you don’t know it, if you’re not comfortable with it, just take a break and google it.
        First and foremost – I, or anyone else for that matter, who tries to help you do what you want, is in no way responsible if you BRICK your phone. BRICK = PAPERWEIGHT, a really, really, really expensive one at that. If you are not comfortable, decide to rush things, were born on a Tuesday, it doesn’t matter; if you mess up your handset based on any of this information, to find the one responsible = LOOK IN A MIRROR. I, nor anyone else who tries to help you, provide you with information, gives you a hint, etc.; is not responsible for the condition of your handset.
        Second – depending on your situation, modifying your handset in any way may or may not VOID YOUR WARRANTY. That is up to you to decipher and accept.
        Third – do you want to unlock your phone? Not really the same thing as jailbreaking, but close from what I know about it. Do you want it to look like someone elses that you saw on the video? Revisit the video, with a piece of paper and a pen. Write down the names of the apps you see and then go and look for them.
        Fourth – do you want to change the ROM? Kinda scary at first. You can do a lot to your handset without flashing to a new rom. However, most manufacturers and carriers tend to have a lot of “bloat” in the handset that you won’t ever use, is outdated, or just plain worthless. There are roms available that are minimal, there are some that are pretty wicked.

How do I unlock my PPC?
        Typically done with an unlocker, which is specific to model and carrier and type. Please read through the threads on the forum, there are sections dedicated for specific handsets and then there are sections for different kinds of modifications, roms, themes, apps, etc.
        Again, google is your friend. There’s a little green search button towards the top of every page on SPJ.
        You should note that if necessary to return handset for repairs, you will need to relock your handset. It’s a good idea, regardless of what you are going to do, to find both the unlocker and relocker for your particular situation. Keep them in a file that is clearly marked, so that you won’t have to hunt it down later. Once your handset is unlocked, you generally have no reason to relock it if you’re just wanting to change things on it.

--------- New Post Merged on 26/6/2009 at 1124 --------

HOWDY Newbie!
        I came up with this post because I've been reading all these posts from people that are like, "it's so hard, I don't understand" or the infamous, "I tried searching and couldn't come up with anything" I've had a lot of input from folks, and I'm guessing that the stats are right; a lot of people are just hit and miss here, they want something, take it and leave; the others hang out and hold out for some insight; and others actually give back and try to help. Hopefully I'm in the latter.
        So let’s see you’re here because of something along the lines of “I’ve got this kewl new handset, and I wanna be like ….(Dash, BigJew, Superman, Iceman, etc. pick one and insert here) I saw this wicked video on youtube and I want to have one like that!” Maybe you were searching the web for something to speed up your phone, and came up with the SPJ website. Whoa, slow down a second. The peeps whose handsets are in those videos are either wickedly talented, awesomely patient, or got bucks enough to have it done for them. Do you fall into any of those categories? Even if you don’t, there is help for you. You’ve got to do the legwork on your own though.

This is information that you need to know BEFORE you start downloading stuff and trying to modify your phone.

I. You’ve got a smartphone or PPC

Needed Pertinent Information about the handset you are going to modify
        1. Make – aka manufacturer
        2. Model – numbers and name would be nice, Touch Pro, Mogul, PPC6850, etc.
        3. Version – CDMA or GSM
        4. Carrier – who you pay your bill to. Sprint, Verizon, ATT
        THESE THINGS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT, a lot of this stuff is specific to make and model.
        II. PC or laptop with web access
        1. PC or laptop – windows based or mac, some programs are only for Windows
        2. Version you are using – 32 or 64 bit XP, mac, linux, redhat, etc.
        3. How do you connect your PPC to your system?
        4. Make sure your data cable works, should have gotten one with the phone
        5. Storage card, it works, how big it is and what kind, know how to format it.
        6. Setup a folder, somewhere you can find it easily, for all the cool things you will wind up downloading. Saves time!
        7. Know your antivirus – some apps you download will set it off. Check thread, usually things are tested before being posted, use at your own risk.
        III. Backing up your information.
        Preferably on the web, one I found is Dashwire, and it works well, and it’s free. You will have to setup an account online, download an app to your phone, follow instructions! There are other methods out there, some are web-based, some not, google is your friend.
        Comfortable with the possibility that in your haste, you will acquire a very expensive paperweight. Especially if you decide that you know what you’re doing because you work with computers all day, and this can’t be that difficult.I, or anyone else for that matter, who tries to help you do what you want, is in no way responsible if you BRICK your phone. BRICK = PAPERWEIGHT, a really, really, really expensive one at that. If you are not comfortable, decide to rush things, were born on a Tuesday, it doesn’t matter; if you mess up your handset based on any of this information, to find the one responsible = LOOK IN A MIRROR. I, nor anyone else who tries to help you, provide you with information, gives you a hint, etc.; is not responsible for the condition of your handset.

There is a "SEARCH" button at the top of every page. You can do an advanced search. I would suggest that you do a google search and then using the information you learn there, come back here and see if you can find what you're looking for.
        Now you get to decide what you want to do. Just want it faster? Want to install a different theme and background? You need to search around and decide what you need and want. Everything about modifying your handset is about personal preference. You’ve got to know what you want to do. Well, actually you don’t have to know what you want, you can start wherever you want, and just go from there.

Depending on your situation, modifying your handset in any way may or may not VOID YOUR WARRANTY. That is up to you to decipher and accept.

Do you want to unlock your phone? Not really the same thing as jailbreaking, but close from what I know about it. Do you want it to look like someone elses that you saw on the video? Revisit the video, with a piece of paper and a pen. Write down the names of the apps you see and then go and look for them.
        Do you want to change the ROM? Kinda scary at first. You can do a lot to your handset without flashing to a new rom. However, most manufacturers and carriers tend to have a lot of “bloat” in the handset that you won’t ever use, is outdated, or just plain worthless. There are roms available that are minimal, there are some that are pretty wicked.

How do I unlock my PPC?
        [/size]

--------- New Post Merged on 27/6/2009 at 0107 --------

HOWDY Newbie!
        I came up with this post because I've been reading all these posts from people that are like, "it's so hard, I don't understand" or the infamous, "I tried searching and couldn't come up with anything" I've had a lot of input from folks, and I'm guessing that the stats are right; a lot of people are just hit and miss here, they want something, take it and leave; the others hang out and hold out for some insight; and others actually give back and try to help. Hopefully I'm in the latter.

This is information that you need to know BEFORE you start downloading stuff and trying to modify your phone.

I. You’ve got a smartphone or PPC

Needed Pertinent Information about the handset you are going to modify
        1. Make – aka manufacturer
        2. Model – numbers and name would be nice, Touch Pro, Mogul, PPC6850, etc.
        3. Version – CDMA or GSM
        4. Carrier – who you pay your bill to. Sprint, Verizon, ATT
        II. PC or laptop with web access
        1. PC or laptop – windows based or mac, some programs are only for Windows
        2. Version you are using – 32 or 64 bit XP, mac, linux, redhat, etc.
        3. How do you connect your PPC to your system?
        4. Make sure your data cable works, should have gotten one with the phone
        5. Storage card, it works, how big it is and what kind, know how to format it.
        6. Setup a folder, somewhere you can find it easily, for all the cool things you will wind up downloading. Saves time!
        7. Know your antivirus – some apps you download will set it off. Check thread, usually things are tested before being posted, use at your own risk.
        III. Backing up your information.
        Preferably on the web, one I found is Dashwire, and it works well, and it’s free. You will have to setup an account online, download an app to your phone, follow instructions! There are other methods out there, some are web-based, some not, google is your friend.
        Comfortable with the possibility that in your haste, you will acquire a very expensive paperweight. Especially if you decide that you know what you’re doing because you work with computers all day, and this can’t be that difficult.I, or anyone else for that matter, who tries to help you do what you want, is in no way responsible if you BRICK your phone. BRICK = PAPERWEIGHT, a really, really, really expensive one at that. If you are not comfortable, decide to rush things, were born on a Tuesday, it doesn’t matter; if you mess up your handset based on any of this information, to find the one responsible = LOOK IN A MIRROR. I, nor anyone else who tries to help you, provide you with information, gives you a hint, etc.; is not responsible for the condition of your handset.

There is a "SEARCH" button at the top of every page. You can do an advanced search. I would suggest that you do a google search and then using the information you learn there, come back here and see if you can find what you're looking for.
        Now you get to decide what you want to do. Just want it faster? Want to install a different theme and background? You need to search around and decide what you need and want. Everything about modifying your handset is about personal preference. You’ve got to know what you want to do. Well, actually you don’t have to know what you want, you can start wherever you want, and just go from there.

Depending on your situation, modifying your handset in any way may or may not VOID YOUR WARRANTY. That is up to you to decipher and accept.

Do you want to unlock your phone? Not really the same thing as jailbreaking, but close from what I know about it. Do you want it to look like someone elses that you saw on the video? Revisit the video, with a piece of paper and a pen. Write down the names of the apps you see and then go and look for them.
        Do you want to change the ROM? Kinda scary at first. You can do a lot to your handset without flashing to a new rom. However, most manufacturers and carriers tend to have a lot of “bloat” in the handset that you won’t ever use, is outdated, or just plain worthless. There are roms available that are minimal, there are some that are pretty wicked.

How do I unlock my PPC?
        [/SIZE]
        Last edited by gadget945; June 27, 2009, 12:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        sigpic
        Mahalo, Gadget

GETTING STARTED GUIDE

Comment

• VenumX
          The VenumX Factor
          • Nov 14

lovin it :D RED RED RED RED

("Do Not Pm Me Or Email For Support" For Mobile Stuff, Post your question/problem on the forum so that someone else who's having the same issue can benefit from the solution.)

sigpic

Wanna Introduce Yourself?! Click HERE

Need to flash a rom?
          stlouisfinest68 has a great video tutorial on how to do it, click HERE

Forum Rules: --> HERE
          Join A Group:--> HERE
          Learn To Get Around The Forum:--> HERE

Comment

• D/\SH
            Owner - Staff
            • Feb 07

damn looking good girl i cant wait until this is done!!! you have done a great job n this thus far :) and yes very easy to read and nice to see people using the test area :) you never cease to amaze me with how far you have came since you started here at SPJ. keep up the good work girl

Comment

• gadget945
              NOOB 4 EVER
              • Sep 25

Okay - I don't have the options to delete the previous parts of the posting. Can one of y'all do it? The reason why I'm asking is because I'm fixing to post up the latest one to see how it hits. RED RED RED RED...... LOL

--------- New Post Merged on 28/6/2009 at 01:00:53 --------

awwww -- I am so gonna blush..... I got to amaze DASH!!!! LOL Thanks dude!
              Last edited by gadget945; June 28, 2009, 12:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              sigpic
              Mahalo, Gadget

GETTING STARTED GUIDE

Comment

• Superman369
                • Sep 22

Originally posted by gadget945
                Okay - I don't have the options to delete the previous parts of the posting. Can one of y'all do it? The reason why I'm asking is because I'm fixing to post up the latest one to see how it hits. RED RED RED RED...... LOL

--------- New Post Merged on 28/6/2009 at 01:00:53 --------

awwww -- I am so gonna blush..... I got to amaze DASH!!!! LOL Thanks dude!
                What do you want deleted?
                Got a ? Use The Help Desk Here
                Need it all in one thread?Click Here
                Learn How To Flash A Rom?Click Here
                Are You New To The Scene?Click Here
                Need to Learn How To Search? Click Here
                The End All, Be All of Noob Guides.Click Here

sigpic
                Make Sure You Hit The Thanks And/Or Installed Buttons If Someone Helps You Or You Use There Programs!!!

Comment

• gadget945
                  NOOB 4 EVER
                  • Sep 25

First and second posts I made, if you please. If not possible, then just the second post. Only reason why I wanted them deleted was because I thought they may take up room or make things confusing for others that are reading them. Or is it better to show the progression of the article through the different changes? ANy output is appreciated.

Thanky!
                  sigpic
                  Mahalo, Gadget

GETTING STARTED GUIDE

Comment

• Superman369
                    • Sep 22

Well this is just the testing forum. You can leave it as is, and just post the stuff you want in one post in the tutorial or noob section. This forum isnt actually for real posts, just to test out new features and such.

sigpic
                    Make Sure You Hit The Thanks And/Or Installed Buttons If Someone Helps You Or You Use There Programs!!!

Comment

• gadget945
                      NOOB 4 EVER
                      • Sep 25

HOWDY Newbie!

So let’s see you’re here because of something along the lines of “I’ve got this kewl new handset, and I wanna be like ….(Dash, BigJew, Superman, Iceman,
                      etc. pick one and insert here) I saw this wicked video on youtube and I want to have one like that!” Maybe you were searching the web for something to speed up your phone, and came up with the SPJ website. Whoa, slow down a second. The peeps whose handsets are in those videos are either wickedly talented, awesomely patient, or got bucks enough to have it done for them. Do you fall into any of those categories? Even if you don’t, there is help for you. You’ve got to do the legwork on your own though.

QUICK BREAKDOWN OF THINGS YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

I. You’ve got a smartphone or PPC. Need Pertinent Information about the handset you are going to modify
                      2.Model – numbers and name, Touch Pro, Mogul, PPC6850, etc.
                      3.Version – CDMA or GSM
                      THESE THINGS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT, a lot of the stuff available to modify your setup is specific and based on the above.

II.PC or laptop with web access, you should have information about your setup

3.How do you connect your PPC to your system? ActiveSync, SyncCenter, etc. make sure it works
                      6.Setup a folder, somewhere you can find it easily, for all the cool things you will wind up downloading. Saves time!
                      7.Know your antivirus – some apps you download will set it off. Check thread, usually things are tested before being posted, use at your own risk.

Preferably on the web, one I found is Dashwire, and it works well, and it’s free. You will have to setup an account online, download an app to your phone, follow instructions! There are others that are free, you just need to look for them. Some aren't free but work well too. Your options are endless. Again, google is your friend.

Are you comfortable with the possibility that in your haste, you will acquire a very expensive paperweight. Especially if you decide that you know what you’re doing because you work with computers all day, and this can’t be that difficult. First and foremost – I, or anyone else for that matter, who tries to help you do what you want, is in no way responsible if you BRICK your phone. BRICK = PAPERWEIGHT, a really, really, really expensive one at that. If you are not comfortable, decide to rush things, were born on a Tuesday, it doesn’t matter; if you mess up your handset based on any of this information, to find the one responsible = LOOK IN A MIRROR.

Just a little bit more....
                      First – depending on your situation, modifying your handset in any way may or may not VOID YOUR WARRANTY. That is up to you to decipher and accept. If you ever have to return your handset for repairs, it will typically need to be in it's original state.

Second – do you want to unlock your phone? Not really the same thing as jailbreaking, but close from what I know about it. Depending on what you want to do, yes, you will have to. Not really all that hard to do. Typically done with an unlocker, which is specific to model and carrier and type, and if you decide you want to and find the unlocker, go ahead and download the relocker too; keep them where you can find them.

Third – do you want to change the ROM? Think of the ROM as your OS, it's got all the good stuff in it to make things go fast and look kewl. You can do a lot to your handset without flashing to a new rom. However, most manufacturers and carriers tend to have a lot of “bloat” in the handset that you won’t ever use, is outdated, or just plain worthless. There are roms available that are minimal, there are some that are pretty wicked.

Fourth - Themes??? Just totally awesome kinds of them out there, lots of talented folks that make these. Some are more tricky to install than others, just read the instructions.

Fifth - APPS, CABS, HACKS, TWEAKS, OH MY... There are soooo many cool things that you can add in. Make your Mogul look like an iphone, make your iphone do things apple never told you about, make your TouchPro a wifi hotspot. The possibilities are endless. Look around at what you can find, be mindful of compatibility with your handset, READ the instructions.

Now, take a deep breath and sit back and relax for a bit before you head off into the wonderful wealth of stuff that SPJ has to offer you!

Hopefully this has helped you. Please make sure that you post your introduction and that you follow the rules that you should have already read.

Good Luck and Have Fun! Be respectful to others! Don't forget to hit that "THANKS" button if anyone has helped you!

--------- New Post Merged on 28/6/2009 at 0247 --------

HOWDY Newbie!

So let’s see you’re here because of something along the lines of “I’ve got this kewl new handset, and I wanna be kewl like (Dash, BigJew, Superman, Iceman, VenumX or any one of the SPJ family; pick a name and insert it here) I saw this wicked video on youtube and I want to have one like they have!” Maybe you were searching the web for something to speed up your phone, and came up with the SPJ website. Whoa, slow down a second. The peeps whose handsets are in those videos are either wickedly talented, awesomely patient, or got bucks enough to have it done for them. Do you fall into any of those categories? Even if you don’t, there is help for you. You’ve got to do the legwork on your own though.

QUICK BREAKDOWN OF THINGS YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

I. You’ve got a smartphone or PPC. Need Pertinent Information about the handset you are going to modify
                      2.Model – numbers and name, Touch Pro, Mogul, PPC6850, etc.
                      3.Version – CDMA or GSM
                      THESE THINGS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT, a lot of the stuff available to modify your setup is specific and based on the above.

II.PC or laptop with web access, you should have information about your setup

3.How do you connect your PPC to your system? ActiveSync, SyncCenter, etc. make sure it works

Preferably on the web, one I found is Dashwire, and it works well, and it’s free. You will have to setup an account online, download an app to your phone, follow instructions! There are others that are free, you just need to look for them. Some aren't free but work well too. Your options are endless. Again, google is your friend.

Are you comfortable with the possibility that in your haste, you will acquire a very expensive paperweight. Especially if you decide that you know what you’re doing because you work with computers all day, and this can’t be that difficult. First and foremost – I, or anyone else for that matter, who tries to help you do what you want, is in no way responsible if you BRICK your phone. BRICK = PAPERWEIGHT, a really, really, really expensive one at that. If you are not comfortable, decide to rush things, were born on a Tuesday, it doesn’t matter; if you mess up your handset based on any of this information, to find the one responsible = LOOK IN A MIRROR.

Just a little bit more....
                      First – depending on your situation, modifying your handset in any way may or may not VOID YOUR WARRANTY. That is up to you to decipher and accept. If you ever have to return your handset for repairs, it will typically need to be in it's original state.

Second – do you want to unlock your phone? Not really the same thing as jailbreaking, but close from what I know about it. Depending on what you want to do, yes, you will have to. Not really all that hard to do. Typically done with an unlocker, which is specific to model and carrier and type, and if you decide you want to and find the unlocker, go ahead and download the relocker too; keep them where you can find them.

Third – do you want to change the ROM? Think of the ROM as your OS, it's got all the good stuff in it to make things go fast and look kewl. You can do a lot to your handset without flashing to a new rom. However, most manufacturers and carriers tend to have a lot of “bloat” in the handset that you won’t ever use, is outdated, or just plain worthless. There are roms available that are minimal, there are some that are pretty wicked.

Fourth - Themes??? Just totally awesome kinds of them out there, lots of talented folks that make these. Some are more tricky to install than others, just read the instructions.

Fifth - APPS, CABS, HACKS, TWEAKS, OH MY... There are soooo many cool things that you can add in. Make your Mogul look like an iphone, make your iphone do things apple never told you about, make your TouchPro a wifi hotspot. The possibilities are endless. Look around at what you can find, be mindful of compatibility with your handset, READ the instructions.

Now, take a deep breath and sit back and relax for a bit before you head off into the wonderful wealth of stuff that SPJ has to offer you!

Hopefully this has helped you. Please make sure that you post your introduction and that you follow the rules that you should have already read.

Good Luck and Have Fun! Be respectful to others! Don't forget to hit that "THANKS" button if anyone has helped you!
                      Last edited by gadget945; June 28, 2009, 01:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      sigpic
                      Mahalo, Gadget

GETTING STARTED GUIDE

Comment

• Superman369
                        • Sep 22

Nice, that looks like it might be a final there.

sigpic

Comment

• jr5416
                          • May 12

Very nice now lets just hope these noobs read this before they come out asking for help .
                          sigpic

If i helped hit that THANKS button

Comment

• MikeyD
                            Find Em Hot Leave Em Wet
                            • Apr 25

Originally posted by jr5416
                            Very nice now lets just hope these noobs read this before they come out asking for help .
                            very nice job!!!!!!!!........we should post this whe we do the welcome in the intros...lol
                            Can't Access Something Click Here
                            Can't Find Something Click Here
                            Need Help, Check Out the Help Desk Click Here
                            sigpic
                            IF SOMEONE HELPS YOU HIT THE "THANKS" BUTTON
                            FOLLOW THE RULES
                            AND PLEASE CLICK INSTALL ON ALL APPS AND THEMES
                            PLEASE POST SOMETHING, ANYTHING HERE

Comment

• PHE-NOM
                              Creativity Unleashed
                              • Oct 14

[STRIKE]great job girl! whew, that was lots of typing you did there, and yeah, let's hope they read this before asking away.........thank you.[/STRIKE]
                              Last edited by puertoblack2003; July 14, 2009, 10:26 PM.
                              sigpic

NEW TO SPJ? CLICK HERE

NEED TO LEARN HOW TO FLASH? CLICK HERE

QUIERES SABER COMO DESBLOQUEAR Y FLASHAR TU TELEFONO? PRESIONA AQUI
                              TIENES PREGUNTAS SOBRE APPLICACIONES O TEMAS, PERO NO SABES HABLAR INGLES? PRESIONA AQUI

Comment

Working...