• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D/\SH
    Owner - Staff
    • Feb 07

Go To Tool Lite

**** Access my application here. ****

This is a tool for creating, storing and finding GPS waypoints. The initial drive was for geocaching but I've tried to make it general purpose. One of my favorite uses is marking your car's location when you park it. Or anywhere you want to get back to... or Go To!!!

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.2 *****

Import
    - loosened up import even further...

Go To page
    - Fixed Log Button

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.2 *****

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.1 *****

Import
    - Can now import gpx files from other sources (tested with bikerag gpx)

Go To page
    - Lock-out heading dial rotation in preferences
    - Turn off display of glass in preferences
    - Nav and Sat buttons now pass waypoint name and description

List View
    - Distance sort more efficient

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.1 *****

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.0 *****

Preferences
    - Metric/English Units
    - 2 GPS coordinate formats in the lite version

Import
    - Can now import *.loc files (from Geocaching.com)
    - Lite version limits import to 500 waypoints

Go To
    - Details button shows waypoint's URL in browser (cache details, etc.).

List View
    - Distance Sort now a toggle. Be careful with too many waypints in your list!

Go To Tool Lite VERSION 0.5.0 *****

VERSION 0.4.1 *****

Import geocaching gpx files!!!
    - Put files on device's media partition via USB, import in Go To tool, see screenshot. Tested with 500 waypoint files. ***
    - Log button on

Go To page
    - Opens geocaching.com in browser, focused on log page for the selected cache. ***
    - New waypoint 'near' opens in same window for easier copy/paste. ***
    - WebView control keeps browsing in the same window. Extra information captured from URL provides better geocaching.com integration.

New background color and display fixes.

VERSION 0.4.1 *****

The application has 3 main scenes: List View, Add Waypoint, and Go To.

LIST VIEW
    The app opens in list view. All of the existing waypoints are listed and once the GPS gets a fix they are sorted by distance from the current position. You can toggle continuous sorting off and on- this is useful to know which waypoints are closest as you move around. You tap a list item to enter Go To mode. There is also a button to show the Add Waypoint scene. The list view can read waypoint import files (i.e. *.gpx for geocaches).

For geocachers I have a button labeled 'Near' that will open the add waypoint scene and then take the current coordinates and open up the geocaching.com search page in the browser to find closest caches to the current location. After that it's look and type.

ADD WAYPOINT
    When this scene is shown it attempts to get a position fix. When successful, the coordinates default to the current location. Coordinates can be entered in DDD MM.mmm format (now the default) or DDD.hhhhh format. There is also a near button that will take the current coordinates and open up the geocaching.com search page in the browser to find closest caches to the current location.

GO TO VIEW
    In Go To view you can stop and start GPS tracking. There is a compass dial that should show your current heading (works at 3-4 mph walk but loses heading if you go slower) and a compass needle that points in the direction of the destination. If there is no heading lock then you can turn the whole phone so N lines up with North and the direction arrow will point correctly. You can also lock-out the heading dial and always point the N to North. Distance to destination is listed in the header. Some of the raw data is displayed around the compass dial. Use the back gesture to go back to list view (this stops the tracking). A 'Nav' button will launch turn by turn directions in Google Maps to get you close to waypoint and a 'Sat' button will launch Google Maps in satellite view at max zoom centered on the waypoint. Currently the app has a 'count' in the display that shows you how many tracking hits have accumulated since Go To was started. I also have a spinner that shows for 500ms when a new tracking point has been acquired.

BTW, I emailed geocaching.com and they said they had their own app in dev and I could not access their web services directly.

**** Access my application here. ****

originally found here:
    Code:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/195391-go-tool-lite.html
    Attached Files
Working...