X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D/\SH
    Owner - Staff
    • Feb 07

Brightness Unlinked

September 20th Update (0.2.1): Touchstone toggle is partially working again. It will when turned on, it will let your phone go to sleep on the touchstone, or let you turn off the screen with the power button while its on the touchstone. The center button still lights up sometimes though, and I still can't figure out why, but I'm working on it. The best way to turn the phone back on after it sleeps/turns off on the touchstone is by sliding the keyboard. If you hit the power button, sometimes the phone acts funky for a minute. Still working on it though. There are also a few code updates that may help if anyone was having battery issues with the app running in the background/dashboard. The dashboard icon sizing is also fixed, and the header is slightly nicer.

Desciption: This lets you adjust the sliders for brightness of keyboard and display separately. It also allows you to turn off the screen while the phone is on the touchstone. Look through the paragraphs below for more info on what was added/changed in each version, and what is/isn't possible in this version and future versions of this app.

Licensing: App is free (although donations would be appreciated- I know a number of people mentioned donating at some point).

Todos:
    [ASAP] - Fix touchstone toggle to allow sleep while on touchstone. Revert to original settings when dashboard option is turned off and app is exited.
    [Medium Future] - Time triggers, so it's dim at night and bright at daytime.
    Key combo trigger - to toggle bright / dark.
    Add text boxes to input values in addition to sliders.
    Option for the keyboard to dim after a certain amount of time of not using the keyboard.
    Add scheduling to change brightness by time.

September 8th Update (0.2.0): Adds the ability to run the app in the dashboard (background). The touchstone toggle to allow sleep is not fixed yet. I'm getting a touchstone this weekend and should be able to fix it soon. I also fixed the app menu, which I had broken accidentally.

September 4th Update (0.1.3): Adds monitoring for display sleep, dim, and power button. As long as the app is open, it should work perfectly. You should no longer need to fiddle with the sliders to bring the settings back. I also updated the touchstone button code. It should now recognize that it is on the touchstone if you open the program after it is already charging. It should also correctly let the screen sleep when it is charging on the touchstone. However, I don't have a touchstone, so let me know.

Next update (once I finish it) will let the app run in the dashboard, so you don't have to keep the card open all the time.

Info about touchstone button and future updates question:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post1822254

New Update (Version 0.1.2, Aug 8): Adds a button to turn off the screen when your Pre is on the touchstone. I need someone to confirm (in the forum thread) that the touchstone button works (make sure you have version 0.1.2). Just pull it off the touchstone to turn the screen back on. Also fixes some small bugs, code restructured, and some handling added to save battery power by turning off the keyboard backlight when the keyboard is closed.

You have to download the update from the new app catalog (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...tness-unlinked). This thread will continue to be used for changelog info and support, but the actual program file is in the new catalog.

New Update (Version 0.1.1, Aug 6): Keyboard setting now persists through opening/closing keyboard (ONLY WHEN THE APP IS STILL OPEN). Keyboard setting still does not persist when: hitting the power button, letting the phone sleep/dim, anytime the app is closed.

Done! Next Update: Opening and closing the keyboard while the app is still running in the foreground should not reset the keyboard brightness settings. I realize this is a big deal, and a lot of people use this specifically so they can keep the keyboard brightness up. I didn't even notice this was a problem, because I test the app with it plugged in, and my case doesn't let me open and close the keyboard with the usb cable plugged in. I'll release this in the next few days hopefully. I think I've found a way to monitor when the keyboard is opened and closed.

Major Update (Version 0.1.0): Display brightness settings now act like stock brightness slider! (Keyboard brightness settings are still the same as before). I need other people to try it and make sure, but the display setting should now obey the ambient light sensor, and persist through physically sliding the keyboard and turning the screen on and off. :D

After looking through some of the code in the device info app, it looks like I can poll the physical keyboard slider for changes. Next version (hopefully in the next day or 2) will keep your settings when closing/opening the keyboard as long as the app is still open. On the same note though, it looks like there is no way to read the light sensor from an app, so that will have to wait. Put using the light sensor in the same category as keeping the settings after the app is closed: Unless I find a new/better way to change the settings (I'm going to try and start looking through all the possible options tomorrow) than the way I'm doing it now, these things (light sensor and keeping settings when app is closed) are not possible without requiring shell access (formerly rooting). I'm not going to change the app to require that; instead I'm going to 1. Try to find a better way than I have now, and 2. Work on adding other features (like fixing the slider problem and making the app keep your settings active while it is open) that can still be useful.

Update: I'm looking in to what I can do to make it react better to light sensor and power events, but so far there isn't a way I can see to do it without shell access (the artist formerly known as rooting). I'm looking for other options though. I'll also look into seeing if its possible for a mojo app to detect the slider opening and closing. If it can, then I can fix the problem where the light stays out when you close/open the slider and the app is still open. If I can't find a better way to access the brightness settings, I'm going to look into possibly adding a notification bar icon and have the app try and monitor power events while it is open. If I can do that, at least you can leave the app open in the background/notification bar and it would keep your settings through events while it was open. Just FYI, it will be slow to get these updates done, as this is the first app I've written, and I'm learning how to do things as I go along.

Update: Version 0.0.3 adds cookies (but no milk). Brightness Unlinked will now remember your settings when you open the app and restore them. So if you set the keyboard brightness to 100, close the app, and turn off the screen, if goes back to whatever your normal brightness it. When you open the app again, it will remember the "100" setting for the keyboard and restore it. You can set your preferred settings, and just open the app whenever you want to restore them. This version also displays your current setting (from 0 to 100) next to the "Brightness" label.

Update: Version 0.0.2 just adds an "About" and "Donate" button in the menu. I just learned menus so I added it in for the future. Learning cookies now to get it to go back to your previous settings when it re-opens.

Got it! Version 0.0.1 ready as an ipkg. Try this out and see if it works for you guys. I'm using the com.palm name to get access to system mojo services. This should let you separately adjust keyboard and screen brightness. Right now, it doesn't save past any power events. Next version will at least go back to your previous settings when you re-open the app. So if you change it to display all the way down and keyboard up, it will go back to that as soon as you open the app (in the next version). Saving past power events is gonna take a lot more work.

Make sure this works for people besides me, and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

i take no credit for this app and the original thread can be found here:
    Code:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/196412-brightness-unlinked-0-0-3-a.html
    Last edited by D/\SH; October 03, 2009, 09:47 PM.
  • D/\SH
    Owner - Staff
    • Feb 07

Re: Brightness Unlinked

updated with newest version

Comment

• D/\SH
      Owner - Staff
      • Feb 07

Re: Brightness Unlinked

updated with the newest version

Comment