X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D/\SH
    Owner - Staff
    • Feb 07

Parler! v1.0 (7/22)

Okay, some asked for a French version of Habla!, and dcoaster suggested the name Parler! (parler being the French verb for "to speak").

I had looked into it last night, and decided not to put in any effort into it because of the lack of a suitable online dictionary.

However, I woke up this morning with a different attitude - one of, I'll get it started and leave it up to others to finish.

So, here's some screenshots, the .ipk, and another file that contains the parsed result page for a query for house.

TO DO:

1. For the "word not found" error box, the French translation for "word not found" contains accented characters that do not display correctly when the error box pops up. Solution?

2. The fun part - you'll notice that much of the text is black, which isn't the easiest to read against a dark blue background. This is all CSS styling. If you look through parler_house_example.txt, you'll see the different css classes referenced. Each of those classes have to be added, along with color and other formatting if desired, to the parler.css file.

In some cases, some text doesn't have a class associated with it, so it defaults to black for some reason, even though in my css I've assigned a default text color of white.

The house example is just that, an example. You'll have to do other queries for other words and see what other css classes wordreference.com uses.

The reason I didn't use wordreference.com for the Spanish one(Habla!) was because they use tons of css classes, and some of the classes referenced, wasn't in their css file, and etc.

However, for French, I couldn't find a better French dictionary than the one at wordreference.

If you know of one, you could change the site, which of course means you'll have to change how the results are parsed.

Have fun!!

i take no credit for this app and the original thread can be found here:
    Code:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/194107-parler-v1-0-7-22-a.html
    Attached Files
Working...