X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D/\SH
    Owner - Staff
    • Feb 07

[RELEASE] Post-WebOS 1.04 update homebrew app installation instructions

Anyone who has installed any homebrew app via the email method will notice that this method is obsolete (no longer possible) after the WebOS 1.04 update. Here are instructions for another installation method that still works.

1) Install SDK (download here: http://preinsiders.com/home/2009/06/...ed-to-the-web/ )
    2) use konami code to put Pre in dev mode (see post #2)
    3) reset Pre
    4) Connect Pre to PC in "Just Charge" mode
    5) Drag .ipk file for your homebrew app onto Program Files>Palm>SDK>bin>palm-install.bat on the PC (a cmd prompt will pop up and after this you should see the app icon in your programs on the Pre)

Here is a nice homebrew app for you to test with. It is actually a sweet little Google translator app made by Roar over at PreCentral. Thanks to Roar for the nice app and PreCentral for hosting the homebrew party.

"How to use the konami code to enter developer mode"

1) From your Pre homescreen type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart"
    2) After you type this a box will pop up. Tap the box.
    3) A screen will pop up with an "on-off" slider. Change it to "on"
    4) The device will prompt you to soft reset.
    5) After the device soft resets you will be in developer mode. This will allow you to install apps using the method in post #1 in this thread.

To turn off developer mode on your device, enter the konami code again, turn the slider back to "off" and reset.

Everyone who has even the most remote interest in homebrew development for the Pre or even installing homebrew apps on their Pre should download the SDK from the link in the first post in this thread while it is still available, and keep it on their PC at all times, IMO.
    Attached Files
  • D/\SH
    Owner - Staff
    • Feb 07

Re: Post-WebOS 1.04 update homebrew app installation instructions

bump bump for the palm users tested by me and works like it should.

Comment

• ownagewith98
      • May 26

hey Dash, I got a Pre for Christmas and I'm trying to get this app and filecoaster with this method and its not working for me. I tried twice, once did it after the phone had been on for a while, and then turned off dev. mode, reset, and tried this method again. I got the cmd prompt to pop up butno icon comes up on my pre.
      A great F*cking man once said...
      Originally posted by Superman369
      Lol, yea man...stock roms are like woman on their period who eat to much.....bloated as hell and only usefull when you get around the nagging:)

Comment

• D/\SH
        Owner - Staff
        • Feb 07

i really dont know since i havent had a pre for months and months now..... i would guess that this verison you may need to be rooted or something... have you checked the changelog with the updates and the link provided to see if you need to be rooted or not? or he may have made some changes to the app where it is pay so the old versions dont work anymore or something.

Comment

• ownagewith98
          • May 26

I ended up just doing it through the webOS quick install.
          A great F*cking man once said...
          Originally posted by Superman369
          Lol, yea man...stock roms are like woman on their period who eat to much.....bloated as hell and only usefull when you get around the nagging:)

Comment

Working...