X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike20PR
    SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
    • Mar 31

[FULL-FILLED] Linux and Android for Vogue is HERE

Note: The video is from an older build so more progress has been done since then,its just to show that it works great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YNmvRUikfs

DZO has succesfully ported android to our vogues with basically everything working fine, including calls, sms, internet, android marketplace, keyboard, etc. etc. etc. heres what he had to say.....

Hi All,
    I've managed to get Linux and Android up and running on Vogue. I've put everything you need at
    Code:
    http://cs-alb-pc3.massey.ac.nz/vogue
    Just download the latest android zip file, copy system.img and data.gz to the root of your sd card and all the other files anywhere you like, run haret.exe, click run and wait a while. This is with my New Zealand Vogue (Branded as OKTA Touch) but it seems to work on all Vogues, (e.g. Sprint Touch). This has no chance of working on any phone without an MSM7X00 CPU. Newer kernels (i.e. those with audio and power collapse) will only work properly if you have an updated radio, I am using 3.42.50 so update to this if you can.

Volume Down is the Menu Button, Volume Up is Back, Power is Home (on recent kernels) and the Camera button displays the keyboard.

This will not damage your phone in any way and is very safe, it doesn't touch the NAND flash memory so can't mess up anything, just soft reset (or press and hold the end call button, then select power down) to restart windows mobile.

To add Android apks, put them into a directory called AndroidApps (must be capitalised correctly) in the root of your SD card.

Update: Touchscreen now works, people have also had some success running this on Kaiser and Titan.

Update: Radio works, see post 187.

Update: Now has an onscreen keyboard, see post 303.
    Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=303
    Update: Can now make and receive audio calls, see post 312.

Update: SMS now works, see post 330.

Update: Backlight can now be turned off and the browser works well.

Update: Better keyboard, working clock and charging, see post 436.

Update: SD driver works, see post 539

Update: New SDK boots, network and calls work, no SMS yet.

Update: New SDK works much better, SMS works, audio works, now has full screen keyboard, see post 867

Update: Power Collapse works, battery meter works.... in fact it's pretty much usable now.

Update: Camera works (with some quirks), network can be connected and disconnected.

Update: Runs the android cupcake release with on screen kbd.

Update: Screen brightness works.

Thanks.

Note: This will only work on Vogue, Please don't ask about other devices, they should have their own threads.

There is now an irc channel (#vogue-android) on freenode to chat about this port.

UPDATE

Originally posted by dzo
    OK, here's test kernel and system.img with the GPU enabled.

Code:
    http://cs-alb-pc3.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/?C=M;O=D
    Just replace your kernel and system.img with zImage-gpu and system-gpu.img and your vogue will be able to do things it has never done before. There aren't that many apps that use OpenGL-ES and it's not perfect but you should see the difference on the global-time app and the api-demos. The only other thing I tried was buka (from market) and it worked fine.

Let me know if you find any cool 3d apps to test it on.

Obviously this is still experimental and I don't know if it affects power consumption, you also give up 16M of memory but we have more available EBI memory than the G1 and Kaiser anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

Now windows mobile uses will really be jealous.

More info and proper support for the project here....
    Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=382265
    Vogue Files Archive

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/258586032/voguedroid.zip
    Last edited by D/\SH; July 22, 2009, 12:00 AM.
    ....................Ultimate NOOB Guide CLICK HERE....................
    ....................PPC Guide For Dummies CLICK HERE....................
    ....................Dont Know How To Flash A ROM? CLICK HERE..................
    ....................Learn To Search CLICK HERE....................

• GokuSS3
    • Jun 02

Re: Linux and Android for Vogue is HERE

Sick!!! I want a touch now just so I can try this and see how it runs. Why did the guy film the video sideways lmao.
    sigpic
    The Must Read Noob Guide!!!Click Here
    How To Flash A Rom!!!Click Here
    If I Have Helped Be Sure To Hit That Thanks Button!!!

Comment

• lordhelmet
      Still Learning
      • May 23

Well, this guy seems to have this one running better than what I saw for the RAPH800, but this is definitely on the list of "tinkering with" soon! I'm seeing TF3D2 being phased out in the core PPC world before Rhodium even hits the US!
      sigpic

Comment

• Mike20PR
        SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
        • Mar 31

hahaha suckers :P this s#it is so good that android is my main os at the moment woohoo

Everything woks flawlessly I love it!!!

Calls, sms, web, app store, email , everything works.... the only thing buggy is the keyboard but its normal cuz it was made for the vogue since android didn't have a screen kb at that time.... at least till we get the latest cupcake running as good soon that has one built in

All hail my dual boot (sorta) WM6.5 powered VogueDROID!!! ;P

Ps: I'm browsing with android browser while making this post
        Last edited by Mike20PR; April 21, 2009, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• JJMiller35
          • Dec 11

Hey is anybody else having trouble getting the web to work??
          Mike, could you please tell me how to set that up as well as the GPS.

Thanks man!

This is great!

Comment

• Mike20PR
            SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
            • Mar 31

Originally posted by JJMiller35
            Hey is anybody else having trouble getting the web to work??
            Mike, could you please tell me how to set that up as well as the GPS.

Thanks man!

This is great!
            open the default.txt or default-vogue.txt (whichever you are using) and there will be a section about connection regarding account username, and a empty space afterwards, you have to imput your account username in that section (example: *******@sprintpcs.com) its found under settings/system/device information if you want to look it up, and make sure you have a connection established before booting android. after its up and running you can toogle data connection on and off using the app "Togga"

scratch the GPS, dont work
            Last edited by Mike20PR; April 21, 2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• spidercheck04
              • Sep 25

hey wats the name of the song on the video so i can download it lol and i also use vogdroid 6.5 lol ... i think the web is faster then opera or skyfire or EI6 dont u think ???

Comment

• Mike20PR
                SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
                • Mar 31

Originally posted by spidercheck04
                hey wats the name of the song on the video so i can download it lol and i also use vogdroid 6.5 lol ... i think the web is faster then opera or skyfire or EI6 dont u think ???
                dont know... ill look it up and see

but yea, android browser is pretty cool. faster than opera and IE8 but not sure about skyfire... its proxy so tough to be faster, but its hella nicer

my VogueDROID has really made all my buddies jealous and a sprint sales associate waqnted to buy it from me lol

Still running great, love the fluidy of the OS finger friendliness and market is kick ass!!

PS: im seriouslly am starting to believe that the cause of defectiveness in performance and fluidy in our devices is NOT the qualcomm drivers fault but WinMo itself (im not referring to video playback, im referring to animations, scrolling, etc.) cuz this OS is just as smooth as the iPhone, you really notice it when you scroll through menus, contacts, pics etc.

Comment

• JJMiller35
                  • Dec 11

Thanks Mike, You the Man!

I have used a bunch of different theme's on my phone and this is quickly becoming one of my favorites!!

Comment

• Mike20PR
                    SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
                    • Mar 31

Originally posted by JJMiller35
                    Thanks Mike, You the Man!

I have used a bunch of different theme's on my phone and this is quickly becoming one of my favorites!!
                    hahaha no problem bro

this isnt a theme btw, its the real deal. it shuts down windows mobile when booted and runs the real android OS

Comment

• spidercheck04
                      • Sep 25

Originally posted by Mike20PR
                      dont know... ill look it up and see

but yea, android browser is pretty cool. faster than opera and IE8 but not sure about skyfire... its proxy so tough to be faster, but its hella nicer

my VogueDROID has really made all my buddies jealous and a sprint sales associate waqnted to buy it from me lol

Still running great, love the fluidy of the OS finger friendliness and market is kick ass!!

PS: im seriouslly am starting to believe that the cause of defectiveness in performance and fluidy in our devices is NOT the qualcomm drivers fault but WinMo itself (im not referring to video playback, im referring to animations, scrolling, etc.) cuz this OS is just as smooth as the iPhone, you really notice it when you scroll through menus, contacts, pics etc.

i agree on that its smoother and faster but still a great OS program to use

Comment

• D/\SH
                        Owner - Staff
                        • Feb 07

Originally posted by spidercheck04
                        why dont you get music id or load it up if installed and let it listen to the music and id the song for you? come guys use the tools that we have and i know many use that app including me.

Comment

• Mike20PR
                          SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
                          • Mar 31

Originally posted by D/\SH
                          why dont you get music id or load it up if installed and let it listen to the music and id the song for you? come guys use the tools that we have and i know many use that app including me.
                          damn, totally forgot about that lol

Comment

• D/\SH
                            Owner - Staff
                            • Feb 07

Originally posted by Mike20PR
                            damn, totally forgot about that lol
                            come on mike senior admin doesnt mean your old and have asn excuse to forget lmao... just messing with you bro.

Comment

• JJMiller35
                              • Dec 11

I figured, that is why it so smooth. Flawless! lol!

So, I saw you mention above the app store. I can't seem to find that on mine...?

Your help before was great and I am online perfect now and man do I love the browser!

Thanks bro!

Comment

Working...